Feather Dusters Removal

grouper

Market
Reaction score
Besides a Copperband, what can I get to cleanup feather dusters off all of my
rock and sandbed? I tried a Copperband but my tangs beat the !@#$%^& out of it. :shout:

Collect them and give them to someone else. Unless you've mistakenly identified aiptasia as feather dusters.

Personally, I like them quite a bit. If they are feather dusters, hang onto them and give them to someone if you can. I buy live rock with filter feeders on it all the time because I like the biodiversity. Aiptasia on the other hand is something I try to avoid collecting but always seem to be growing some somewhere.

I'm the same- I encourage feather dusters when I can. Like platypus said- are you sure you aren't meaning aptasia?

why would you want to get rid of them? I'm looking for some cool looking ones for my ten gallon nano, but havent found any with color yet.

Arrow crabs and banded coral shrimp have been known to eat them, I think. Definitely the arrow crab.

If they're a nuissance, are you sure they're not hydroids? Small feather dusters and hydroids look very similar, but the former is a nice filter feeder and the latter is a hard-to-remove potential plague (worse than flatworms or redbugs, IMO).

Yeah, you might want to confirm what you have before you go out buying livestock to kill it.

Try to get a pic posted so you can properly ID whatever it is you've got. Until then, can you answer these questions:

1.) Does the organism have a white tube/shell that the "plume" emits from?
2.) Does the actual organism look clear/transparent or opaque/not see-through
3.) Is the organism motile? I.e., has it moved or changed location at all?
4.) Does it have tentacles or does it look more like an inverted circular feather umbrella?

If it is feather dusters, I am sure someone will swap rocks with you as they are pretty good additions to increase biodiversity and filtration within the ecosystem. If not, then you can look into genocide techniques ;) Charlie once suggested I use "pickling lime" aka kalkwasser to kill aptasia spp. anemones and I have had pretty excellent results with that.

But yeah, try to get some pics posted or at least answer my questions.

ok, enough procrastination. back to the books for me...

Back