Feeding Anthias

rodasphoto

Market
Reaction score
I have been researching the feeding and care requirements of Anthias before I purchase a couple of them and the results indicate that they like Cylopeeze. But the availability of cyclops is nonexistent.

What other foods are recommended for anthias?

I know that they have to be fed several times a day and was hoping I could feed something from an autofeeder attached to my controller.

I fed my Lyretails about twice a day and the ate both Mysis shrimp and brine shrimp really well. They also ate pellets from time to time.

gixxer600;1027416 wrote: I fed my Lyretails about twice a day and the ate both Mysis shrimp and brine shrimp really well. They also ate pellets from time to time.
Do you think freeze dried mysis and brine would work?

It probably would. My Anthias were never really picky to start with so i would think that that would be fine.

LRS reef frenzy is all I have fed for a while. Everything from an anthias to a garden eel do just fine. Feed once a day.

go to the farmers market, pickup fish, shrimp, squid, and whatever else you can find. Insert it into a blender and you have great fish food.

You can also get fish roe(eggs) of a few different fish. The orange ones and red ones seem to be like crack for most fish.

I had a harem of Bartletts. Only anthias I've ever had and heard they did better with less frequent feedings than other varieties.

This was really very easy as the Bartletts are very strong surface feeders. The easiest method is the use of an EHEIM auto feeder and ELOS pellets...

Semi related - for those of you that have anthias, can you feed once a day? For those that feed more than once a day, how do you do it? I simply don't have time to feed more than once a day unless i space it out by an hour or two, which seems kind of worthless.

Crew;1027591 wrote: Semi related - for those of you that have anthias, can you feed once a day? For those that feed more than once a day, how do you do it? I simply don't have time to feed more than once a day unless i space it out by an hour or two, which seems kind of worthless.

I think you can do Bartletts once a day but they will benefit long term by multiple feedings...

its done with a Controller + auto feeder...

so you'd basically have to autofeed some sort of pellet and then daily feed frozen? Awesome. I can do that.

Crew;1027591 wrote: Semi related - for those of you that have anthias, can you feed once a day? For those that feed more than once a day, how do you do it? I simply don't have time to feed more than once a day unless i space it out by an hour or two, which seems kind of worthless.

I too do not have the time to feed multiple times a day but will remedy that with an autofeeder and my controller. That is why I will go with freeze dried foods and pellets when I finally purchase the anthias. I also want to build a brine continuous autofeeder.

a>

Crew;1027593 wrote: so you'd basically have to autofeed some sort of pellet and then daily feed frozen? Awesome. I can do that.

I've kept livestock very healthy for many years on Elos pellets alone. I minimize frozen to keep PO4 low. I use mysis when I need to treat with focus/metro which I do whenver I add a new fish. Sometimes I'll feed some cyclopeeze after dark for the softies.

Feeding requirements can vary greatly depending on species. If you're wanting a strong eater that only needs to be fed twice a day go with either a Bartlett or lyretail. Many of the other (especially the smaller) species are very finicky eaters and require up to 6 small meals (cyclopeez, etc) a day.

I'm also interested in setting up an auto brine feeder and trying the smaller, more delicate species like the red saddle.

dylpik27;1027599 wrote: Feeding requirements can vary greatly depending on species. If you're wanting a strong eater that only needs to be fed twice a day go with either a Bartlett or lyretail. Many of the other (especially the smaller) species are very finicky eaters and require up to 6 small meals (cyclopeez, etc) a day.
I will either get 3 lyretail or 3 dispar anthias for my 65 as I have been told that these are the hardier of the Anthias.

Luckily the bartletts and lyretails are my two favorites :)

Back