feeding fish

kevinbeth

Market
Reaction score
I was curious to know how other people tackled the problem of keeping fish food from washing over the overflow. I tried just turning off the pump but it seems to mess with the protien skimmer.

Mostly I feed stuff that doesnt float.

But when I had all the fish and I fed something that floated the fish would not let it go so far as the overflow it was gone in seconds.

I shut off all pumps except one ph when I feed except when I use pellets that sink. After a couple of minutes I crank it back up again.

With flake food, I saw this hint somewhere:

Hold a pinch of flakes between your fingers beneath the surface and allow it to saturate before letting it go. Then the flakes sink instead of remaining on the surface.

That works, but the only fish that eat will be my mated clowns they come up and eat everything right from my fingers. I have to spread it around so the others will get some.

Pre-soak the flakes in a bit of water and just pour them over an area to let all the fish get at them. Soak them only enough to get them below the surface. I do this often in a 1/2 cup measuring scoop with vitamin mix.

Back