Feeding/Food Suggestions or Advice Needed

moosebranch

Reaction score
Hello. First time reefer. I have an IM Nuvo Nano 8 that currently has 1 pepp shrimp, too many dwarf ceriths, 4 nassarius, 3 astreas, 3 nerites and 4 florida ceriths. A majority of the snails are algae eaters. Occasionally my shrimp harasses the snails and has even eaten a nassarius.

I then began dropping a small piece of "frozen/thawed table" shrimp every other day which keeps the shrimp and nassarius snails happy. I will be adding a Firefish very soon and I'm sure this method wont do the fish any good. I read up on it's diet but its a bunch of food manufacturers.

I was looking at Reef Nutrition food. Are they any good? They are pricey.
Or do I get frozen brine shrimp/cubes? Pellets? Flakes? I'll pay for quality.

Its quite a few choices and Im confused which route to take.

I only have a few Zoa colonies, so I technically dont need coral food...I think.

I appreciate any help or guidance.

PE Mysis, Hikari Frozen Spirulina Brine Shrimp, Selcon...should be good to go.

PE mysis is what I've been feeding and I mix a little Rods food herbivore in there for my tangs and Blenys. If you go with PE mysis I would recommend straining the food to get the shrim juice out. This meens get 2 yogurt cups fill one 1/3 full with rodi water and poke pin size holes in the other and put the food straight out of the freezer in the cup with holes then put the cup with the holes down in the other one with the rodi water and let it thaw then pull it out and feed

1 whole shrimp every other day is too much for your bioload.

Switch to PE Mysis and feed half a cube at a time.

I have a well stocked 5 gallon with two small fish, fire shrimp and snalls galore. I feed a half cube every other day

I let the food thaw on a paper towel, put it in a cup, spray tank water over it with my baster, then use forceps to pick a few shrimp out. Then I carefully pour the water out of the cup into the sink leaving the shrimp in and put a lid on it and back in the freezer it goes until two days later....

Shrimp juice is nasty and will pollute your tank

I mainly feed PE Mysis. I rise it in a small fish net to rise off the juice and the add Selcon and let it soak for a few minutes before feeding.

The nice thing about the Reef Nutrition food is that you can control how much you feed, very easily. A plus for smaller tanks where over-feeding can be a major issue. A cube or even half, seems way too much, IMO - and feeding a shrimp to scavengers is a problem waiting to happen, IMO.

I'd suggest Arcti-Pods. It's not that much more expensive, ounce for ounce, than frozen products. Typically frozen cubes come in a 3.5 oz package. The ArctiPods come in a 6 ounce bottle, so if you compare the price, it's not that much different, per ounce.

The real difference is that with the refrigerated stuff, there's a lot less waste since you can put just a few drops in your tank, easily, without having to either cut up a cube, or thaw a whole cube and refrigerate half or whatnot - potentially have that stored half spoil, etc.

Reef Nutrition also makes Mysis Feast which is also PE Mysis - just refrigerated instead of frozen.

Jenn

i'd go with the Elos brand pellet food... no freezer/thawing hastle, no worry about adding phosphates, and you've got total control over how much you feed... I use it in my 55gal with great results...

Back