Felt or Mesh Filter Socks, which to use?

acroholic

Lifetime
Reaction score
I have had an ongoing informal debate with another ARC Member for several years about which is better, mesh or felt, and that continued a couple days ago, and I think I finally got my reasoning for why I have chosen mesh over felt for several years.

I think it has to do with what is your purpose for using a mesh sock in the first place? The obvious answer for most, I think, is mechanical filtration. But ask yourself one further question: regardless of type of sock, do you only replace your socks when they overflow or need to be replaced, or are you proactive and rinse/replace every couple days?

I started keeping SPS tanks shortly after getting into reefing, and the "keep the tank as clean as possible" mantra was always there. You know, get as many organics out of the tank as possible before they decay, so that led me to the practice of every other day rinse/replacing of filter socks. Mesh socks lend themselves to that easier than felt socks do. Whereas mesh socks just need to be rinsed out with water, a 2-3 minute procedure, felt socks require machine washing. Every 2-3 months I do a bleach soak on my mesh socks or a couple hours, and they are ready to go again.

That single difference is why I prefer mesh socks. They suit my style of maintenance practice, which is removal of filtered organics every couple days.

If someone lets their felt socks accumulate organics for many days before they change or wash them, then the socks are basically nitrate factories. They get mechanical filtration, but not the benefit of organics removal prior to decay to nitrate. Not a problem at all if that is not a concern to the person using them.

So I think if you are the type that waits many days between filter sock changes and only changes socks when you have to, there may not be any reason to use felt over mesh, or mesh over felt. But if you rinse/replace every couple days, mesh may be easier to use than felt.

Interesting read... I seem to always learn a lot whenever you post :) Can I find "mesh" filter socks just anywhere? Also, I assume the mesh is a non-corrosive metal?

Mesh socks make you change them quicker...they fill up faster. I am with Dave.

I'd just prefer to be able to clean/rinse it then to have to go through the hassell of replacing or soaking it. What is the desired mesh size?

I use both... For different purpose and circumstances. Mesh socks let bigger pieces of "stuff" pass through. I use these when I am disturbing the tank and stirring things up. After using the mesh for a few days I use felt to polish the water and remove small pieces of "stuff". But the use of socks is also dependent of my availability to change/clean when needed. Letting the sock get clogged to where it overflows serves no real purpose (I am guilty but know better).

This is my first tank that has a sump using socks. My last one had bio balls lol if that tells you how long ago I had it. Been running only felt socks so far and change everytime I replace ATO water (3-4 days). I always wondered if mesh socks would be a better alternative. Cleaning the felt ones is a PITA to me and I always have to sneak them into the washing machine after the wife goes to bed! Dave, you have a good argument for the mesh. I am going to order some next time to try.

MESH...........I don't even know why anyone would waste time buying felt......imho.

Silk. Organic and much more stylish.
I use both felt and mesh. I have enough socks to pull the dirty ones off every few days and after a couple weeks I put them in the laundry. For some reason, I prefer the felt. Mesh seem clog very quickly for a number of reasons.

neither

Edit:
Acroholic;874129 wrote:
I started keeping SPS tanks shortly after getting into reefing, and the "keep the tank as clean as possible" mantra was always there. You know, get as many organics out of the tank as possible <u>before they decay,</em></u> so that led me to the practice of every other day rinse/replacing of filter socks. Mesh socks lend themselves to that easier than felt socks do. Whereas mesh socks just need to be rinsed out with water, a 2-3 minute procedure, felt socks require machine washing. Every 2-3 months I do a bleach soak on my mesh socks or a couple hours, and they are ready to go again.

How long is it before the decaying starts? The organics you are catching with the sock are they not decaying yet?

Good thread. I recently switched to mesh and have to agree they are easier. Since they are easier I tend to maintain them better so the benefits are double.

I'm moving to a double overflow tank and plan on trying some different combinations.

100 micron mesh.

They are easier to work with. Easier to replace, to clean, to store.

Like you Dave, I swap every few days, before they start building up too much. It's just so easy to do it that I don't wait.

Another interesting piece in the debate between mesh & felt is what I dealt with when I was roadracing motorcycles. While racing, I would change the oil every weekend. I was sponsored well, so none of this mattered much, but it came down to using OEM fabric/felt filters or an aftermarket laser cut 30 micron mesh. I went with the mesh when study after study showed that it performed more consistently than the paper filters. While the paper filters had the ability to filter down to 5 microns, they also showed holes of 150 microns. When measuring average particle pass-through, the 30 micron laser cut outperformed paper every time.

This could be applied to the mesh vs felt sock dilemma as well, as the mesh is a consistent cut. It's X microns. The felt is just a wad of felt that may or may not let something pass through.

grouper therapy;874262 wrote: neither

Edit:
How long is it before the decaying starts? The organics you are catching with the sock are they not decaying yet?

Not sure Dave, but I do get uneaten food pulled from the socks many times when I rinse, recognizable in the form I put it into the tank (flake, mysis, etc).

Probably some decay always going on, but undoubtedly a lot less than if I left the socks in all the time, did nothing, and all that accumulation just sat there turning into nitrate for days on end. No one can eliminate organic decay in a reef, of course, but we can limit it with mechanical filtration, protein skimming, etc. Not like I need to school you on anything reef related!

I look at filter socks like a prefilter in a pool. You will get some stuff that is already rotten, some stuff that is partway, and some stuff that is still good. No way to avoid it. But whatever you pull out, it is better than leaving it in and letting it rot, at least where my SPS are concerned.

I don't worry about it as much with my LPS/softy reef. But I am pretty diligent about keeping my SPS tank as low in organics as possible.

Edit:
k3nnyP;874266 wrote: Good thread. I recently switched to mesh and have to agree they are easier. Since they are easier I tend to maintain them better so the benefits are double.

I'm moving to a double overflow tank and plan on trying some different combinations.

Exactly. I can't speak for anyone else, but the easier a reef maintenance chore is to do, the likelier I am to do it.

I'm lucky enough to have all my 465 gallon reef equipment in a separate room behind the display, and doing chores with the stuff out in the open it so much easier than getting on all fours with your head in a cabinet under the tank.

BlueSpot;874231 wrote: This is my first tank that has a sump using socks. My last one had bio balls lol if that tells you how long ago I had it. Been running only felt socks so far and change everytime I replace ATO water (3-4 days). I always wondered if mesh socks would be a better alternative. Cleaning the felt ones is a PITA to me and I always have to sneak them into the washing machine after the wife goes to bed! Dave, you have a good argument for the mesh. I am going to order some next time to try.

I'm not necessarily arguing for for against felt or mesh socks. but what I am saying is that one material may be better for your particular maintenance practices. I just know that the felt was driving me nuts due to the constant sock changeouts in my SPS tank.

Many folks just let the socks (felt and mesh) fill until they overflow and bypass the socks altogether, and no problem with that if that is what you like, but I've always been conscious about nitrate levels, so every other day or so regular rinse/replace is the way I do it.

I also have minimum live rock in my reef, so I may not have as much denitrification capacity in my system as a whole vs someone that has more live rock in theirs and uses felt socks with more infrequent filter sock removal/replacement practices.

Also, for me, I am on a septic system, and I don't like the idea of flushing calcium carbonate type mineral sediments into my settling tank and subsequently the leach fields in my back yard, which would happen with machine washing felt filter socks. This may be a perception issue on my part more than anything else, but somehow the idea of sand, asterina stars, bits of coral, etc., going into a septic system doesn't seem right or good for the septic system as a whole.

Matrix is used primary to act as a supplement for live rock correct? Is this how I'm seeing people with reef tanks that have little to almost no live rock in their DT?

Sn4k33y3z;874328 wrote: Matrix is used primary to act as a supplement for live rock correct? Is this how I'm seeing people with reef tanks that have little to almost no live rock in their DT?

Supplement or augment. Yes.

Going from my 75 to 120 I'm adding another 25 lb of rock and 1 liter of Matrix just to be sure I had enough surface area for beneficial bacteria and critters to live in my sump.

JeF4y;874321 wrote: Dave, did you remove the Matrix you had in your sump?

I notice it had accumulated a lot of mulm over the months about 4-5 months ago, so I removed it to rinse it out and give the sump a good wipe down/clean out, and decided to just leave it out. At the same time I set up a sulfur denitrator. Everything seems to be doing OK. I did not get any ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate spikes as a result.

The matrix was the only place left in the system that was hard to get into that accumulated detritus. The tank itself is very clean from the massive water movement.

We use handmade felt socks, they work great! Change 1 everyday and wash them with bleach and an extra rinse cycle.

Acroholic;874365 wrote: I notice it had accumulated a lot of mulm over the months about 4-5 months ago, so I removed it to rinse it out and give the sump a good wipe down/clean out, and decided to just leave it out. At the same time I set up a sulfur denitrator. Everything seems to be doing OK. I did not get any ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate spikes as a result.

The matrix was the only place left in the system that was hard to get into that accumulated detritus. The tank itself is very clean from the massive water movement.

Yeah, that's why I asked. I'm noticing my matrix accumulating a lot of crap in it, and rinsing it is not as easy as it should be.

Back