Few thoughts about Reef tank lighting

thanhreef

Market
Reaction score
Tank size: 36" x 18" x 25"

Since I started this hobby about 4 years, I have changed four different lighting.

<ol>
<li>Start with Coralife 36 Inch Aqualight Pro, 1x150W HQI MH Lamp + 2x65W PC + 2x1W Lunar LED: It was not light for SPS. I sold it</li>
<li>T5 6-bulbs Tek Lighting Fixture: I loved this, but it was too hot when I place inside the small & short canopy. I still have it. I\'d probably use it for my frag tank in the future.</li>
<li>MH (LumenMax Elite Mogul, Galaxy Select-A-Watt ballast, 1 400W SE Radium bulb) plus 4 LED PowerBrite: Build new big & tall canopy, I bought this lighting. This was great except the heat.</li>
<li>AI LED: After reading many great reviews from other reefers, I bought 2 modules. I used about 9 months and I think AI is overrated. The SPS tank needs more than modules that it recommends. Under AI, coral growth rate for SPS, LPS and Soft coral is great. However, the color of SPS is not that great. I ran 80W:100B:100R for 7 hours, but it brings out about 70% of color. I\'d probably run 100W:100B:100R, but tank looks awful because of too much white light color.</li>
<li>MH (LumenMax Elite Mogul, Galaxy Select-A-Watt ballast, 1 250W SE Radium bulb) plus 2 AI modules: I just added back MH in center and one module each side. it has been my best setup combination for the coral look and growth rate so far. Within only 3 weeks of running this combination, SPS looks great. No more change the lighting. Now, I know that I can stock any kind of SPS in my tank. :)</li>
</ol>

Lesson to learn: Think carefully few extra steps before upgrade anything

Happy Reefing

I have had similar experience the past couple years myself. It sure can be a headache when loosing corals when u know how stunning they can be with the right lighting.

It seems like the more I know about lighting the more confused I am.

I am currently using the member modified leds just got em yesterday they have UV chips in em so it will be till ay least Sunday before I start cranking em up to give the corals time to adjust.

I had a sunpod 150w over the tank for some time ththat had a very bad bulb so we will see what difference this does.

How did you overcome the heat produced by the MHs?

vista;754283 wrote: Tank size: 36" x 18" x 25"

Since I started this hobby about 4 years, I have changed four different lighting.

<ol>
<li>Start with Coralife 36 Inch Aqualight Pro, 1x150W HQI MH Lamp + 2x65W PC + 2x1W Lunar LED: It was not light for SPS. I sold it</li>
<li>T5 6-bulbs Tek Lighting Fixture: I loved this, but it was too hot when I place inside the small & short canopy. I still have it. I'd probably use it for my frag tank in the future.</li>
<li>MH (LumenMax Elite Mogul, Galaxy Select-A-Watt ballast, 1 400W SE Radium bulb) plus 4 LED PowerBrite: Build new big & tall canopy, I bought this lighting. This was great except the heat.</li>
<li>AI LED: After reading many great reviews from other reefers, I bought 2 modules. I used about 9 months and I think AI is overrated. The SPS tank needs more than modules that it recommends. Under AI, coral growth rate for SPS, LPS and Soft coral is great. However, the color of SPS is not that great. I ran 80W:100B:100R for 7 hours, but it brings out about 70% of color. I'd probably run 100W:100B:100R, but tank looks awful because of too much white light color.</li>
<li>MH (LumenMax Elite Mogul, Galaxy Select-A-Watt ballast, 1 250W SE Radium bulb) plus 2 AI modules: I just added back MH in center and one module each side. it has been my best setup combination for the coral look and growth rate so far. Within only 3 weeks of running this combination, SPS looks great. No more change the lighting. Now, I know that I can stock any kind of SPS in my tank. :)</li>
</ol>
Lesson to learn: Think carefully few extra steps before upgrade anything

Happy Reefing

I'd probably get the same heat that I run 400W MH. I run Chiller. As long as corals look great & healthy, I don't mind to pay extra dollars for power bill. :)

Amici;754390 wrote: I tend to agree with your experience with AI. I have seen them and they look great but I was always skeptical of that little wattage covering the area they claim at that cost. I picked up a light from Reef Filtration because I liked the chip combo he had and put a Ice Fire Echinata under it that I got from MvM. Here is the growth and the color is absolutely amazing. I took both with my iPhone so I apologize if it is out of focus.

I agree some some of the LED fixtures are overrated but if you know what to look for you can have some great growth at a great price.

<p style="text-align:center">
Icefire1.jpg
alt="" />

icefire2.jpg
alt="" />

Your IceFire is looking great. How long have you had it? I am going ask Matt if he has one available

Interesting. You beat me to the punch. I'm debating whether to go 250w or 400w with 3 AI's. Believe it or not, I was considering (2) 400W Radiums with an AI on each end and the middle. This is on a 47x24x25 tank.
Keep the updates coming

You're going to love MH/AI mixing together. I think that two of 250W would be a lot of light.

Here is my current setting:

1PM: 1W:50B:50R
2PM: 50W:100B:100R
2:30PM: MH on
8:30PM: MH off
8:30PM: 25W:50B:50R
9PM: 5W:100B:100R
11PM: 1W:50B:50R
12PM: 0W:0B:2R

I'm still working on the whole LED lighting scene, but it seems like a massive waste of funds to have both MHs and AIs on a tank.

Would you not be better off, selling the AIs and adding some panorama strips... or an aquawasher or two?.

Right now my 75g display has 2x250w reeflux 20k bulbs and growth is ok. In my 40b frag tank I have 36 3w Crees and growth is amazing. Someone needs to take a more scientific approach to figuring out what works best

I'd say that there are too many variables that effect color and growth to get any factual scientific evidence.

I also say that there are too many variables to say that one form of lighting is better than the other.

Back