Filling the tank and starting the engine

NanCrab

Supporting
Reaction score
Ok, I'm really embarrassed to be asking what seems like an incredibly silly question but what is the proper procedure for filling the tank and sump and powering up the pump?
Obviously I know how to get water into the tank, but do you just fill it to till it gets to the top of your main drain pipe then let it drain into the sump then start the pump? We've never had a sump before. We have scoured YouTube and have watched numerous videos but none of them address this at all. Or, none that we have watched address this. I've even typed very specific descriptions of what I'm looking for and still no luck. Of course, this is the person who couldn't find a 3/4" fitting when it was staring me in the face...I'm really not stupid, I promise!

When I filled my tank I filled the tank and filled up the sump I then had a 5 gallon bucket with a small pump in filled with water. I started the small pump and kicked on the main return pump. I kept pumping with the small pump until everything equalized. Then adjusted the level in the sump. I'm sure there is easier ways but this is the way I done it.
If you over filled the sump dont kill the power to the main return pump. You will have a mess.

Fill the tank, let it run down in to the sump and start the pump up. You'll have to keep an eye on things as they start to balance out. You should keep a few gallons of water to adjust the water level in the sump. When you're happy with the level, most Pros put a piece of blue painter's tape at the water level just so you can eyeball it to make sure your ATO is working.

Make certain that when you get to a water level in the sump that you like, you power everything off and see how much water continues to drain into the sump. It's very, very important that your sump is not so full and to overflow in a power outage situation.

Only thing I would add to above is mark the high and low spots for water level so that your pump is always submerged and no danger of running dry. After you find your the low spot you like, turn off everything and let it all drain into sump like a power outage. This is to make sure you don’t overfill of flood the sump. If your sump easily handled the water, you are good to go :). I do a high and low tape spot because it makes it easier for me to eyeball whether everything is all good when I glance at the sump- too low and I check the ATO, too high and I worry about the main pump. Quick easy visual cues to help monitor.

Thank you! I’m going to have to figure out how to set up that Tunze osmolator.

I would fill the tank until it starts draining into the sump, then fill the sump until it's about 3 inches from the top. Then start the return pump. This will ensure that the sump does not overflow when return pump is shut off. You will then be able to fine-tune the water level in the return section, if the return section gets too low for the pump you'll have to add more water, remebering you have only that 3" available. Only add water to the sump with the return pump off and you won't overflow. It always takes a minute or so for all the water to drain down after the pump is turned off. You may have to turn the pump on and off several times to get the optimum level. +1 on marking the high and low lines with tape. Also keep in mind if you have an adjustable return pump your high and lines can change depending on settings.

Back