Filter Frustration

salty

Market
Reaction score
I use one of those standard cartridge filters, and replace them monthly and run a couple bags of carbon. Pretty standard, right? But I am still getting crazy amounts of particular haze. The flow isn't too crazy, and I don't disturb the sandbed too often, so I'm assuming the filters are faulty. And this is where I need your help. Standard filter floss prices (though still cheap) seem to be inflated, so could I just use a couple sheets of felt? I've heard some use felt to make filter socks, and it looks texturally fine, so could I go this route, or just cough up the cash?

Just checking to make sure.  But, are you rinsing the carbon before you use it?  If not you will get residue throughout your tank.  Carbon helps clear out some particulates.  But, its main purpose is to help remove toxins or contaminates.   Carbon can be completely exhausted in 6 hrs up to a month (dependant on the amount of toxins or contaminates in the water column).    Filter floss will filter out particulates and not much else.  If you dont keep up by replacing or cleaning filter floss (or filter socks) you will end up with a nitrate factory.  I hope this helps.

I do rinse it, but the water has white-colored particles in it. I'll try changing the filter out more often, then

Sounds like you have a bacterial bloom going on. If so it's unrelated to the carbon.

I think it is a bacterial bloom. Just did a 25% water change, and the tank looks exactly the same. Any advice?

Water changes aren't going to help, they reproduce too fast.

What are all the details for the tank, how much do you feed, have you treated the water with anything?

In my fish qt I'll get a pretty good bloom a day or 2 after treating with prazipro.

I have a 10g tank with a 1 inch sand bed, two clowns, a couple sails, and a few soft corals. Use an Orbit Marine LED. Use tap water connected to RO system treated with Prime and use Reef Crystals for water changes (2 gallons every 3 weeks). Feed 30-ish pellets of spectrum a pellets daily. I don't treat or dose anything.

Other tank parameters:

Temp: 78

pH: 8

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 20 (Intentionally high for soft corals)

Hope this helps

Purchase cut to fit filter pad cut it to fit where you need it, making sure all the water passes through the padding. When it gets dirty, soak it in bleach and reuse it.

a flocculant like Seachem Clarity will give you clearer water as well.

I currently have an algae outbreak in my tank, but my water clarity is on point 
Tbe1ndu81zraogznmymy2o0g6h3hh3il5.jpg
alt="D22C4A28-2896-4E03-8374-20046536CAE2" />

I use poly fil in a mesh bag to polish my water.  But from what I am seeing (30 pellets) is a lot.  They are usually filled with nutrients and phosphate.  I would cut back on feeding that much. Let your tank process everything, which will take time, and let the time consume the nutrients or let the bloom exhaust itself.  

I was going to say what Bluesy said. 30 pellets for two little fish is a bit much. Try not only cutting that in half but not feeding at all for a day or two.

These smaller tanks with hang on filters and no skimming seem to be more prone to these bacterial blooms. With my 20 gallon fish QT I feed heaver to fatten them up and boost their immune system. As soon as I add Prazipro, which is usually towards the end of QT, I'll get a big bloom.

Back