Filter showdown

YoungReefer10g

Market
Reaction score
So I am working on a 30-gallon reef tank and was looking at filters and I was wondering if anyone had insight to these two filters I have boiled down to https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DJIQW/?tag=aquariumadviser-20&th=1 which is 46 dollars, has 115 gph flow, 2 media baskets and 4 stars 3,519 reviews vs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010PLGH4G/?tag=aquariumadviser-20&th=1 which is 56 dollars, has 160gph flow, 3 stage filtration, 4 stars 742 ratings, AND comes with filter media. I'm leaning towards the Marineland because it offers more gph and it has 3 stages filtration and comes with filter media! If anybody has used either of these and has information on them please share it.

Canister filters can become what is sometimes called a nitrate factory and should be cleaned often.

Are you sure you really want to use one?

Hmm haven’t heard that before thanks for the heads up! You got any suggestions on other affordable filtration options?

Drilling the tank and putting in a sump won’t cost you much more than that amount and will give you much more flexibility to add equipment later on

If you don’t want to drill, I would recommend a hang on the back filter like the tidal series.

Aqua clear HOB filters which can also be used as a refugium - work great for nano tanks

I concur with a hang on type. Much more convenient and also affordable.

While I ran an Eheim canister on a marine tank for years, there never was coral involved. Nitrates were too high and we didn’t have good lighting like there is now.

If you want a successful reef tank, your water quality will need to be very good to excellent.

Do you know if your aquarium glass is tempered? It cannot be tempered, if it is to be drilled. Someone on here might offer to drill your tank, so you can set up a sump type design.

Sumps are the current best practice for reef tanks. It provides an out of the way place for most equipment and is convenient for doing maintenance. Some also have a refugium section built into the sump. Lots of options.

The question is, if it is glass, then is that glass ‘tempered’ glass?

Tempered glass has been heat treated, which increases the strength, up to 4 x’s. The trade off is that tempered glass is also much more brittle and cannot be drilled. It will shatter.

If you are not sure, perhaps you know the make & model of the aquarium. We can help find out about tempering from that.

Back