Filter sock observation

greg

Reaction score
I noticed that when I change my filter socks, my pH goes up by .05 within minutes. From decay going in inside thee? If this is the case, I know they are working and I will prb

I have always been a fan of filter socks if you can change them out every couple of days.  Otherwise, they become a nitrate factory.  However, over the past several months I only use them once a week to clean up the water or if I am cleaning out the overflow.

Personally I don't mind some "stuff" floating around the tank. I do however hate seeing the life that gets caught by filter socks. Pods, micro brittle stars etc.
I don't use them because I hate throwing all those little buggers away - you can never get them all out of the socks and back into the tank / sump.

I do pay a price for it though - I have had carnivorous whelk snails make it from a tank I don't mind them being in to my actual display tank that had a Deresa clam. The clam was killed and being eaten by one of the whelks one morning.

Had I been using filter socks it's highly likely that would have never happened.

Back