Filter socks micron size?

Rickdareefa

Supporting
Reaction score
Anyone got a specific micron size they prefer? I wanna order a bunch off amazon but not sure if i even know the micron size of the ones i use they're all different. Also if you got a bunch of old ones ill prob buy or trade frags for them. I know theyre a pain and clog super fast but over the years im able to to tell the difference in water clarity so i may just build an army of sox so i can just wash em once a week

I like the 200 micron felt socks. They will get clogged after a few days BUT that just means they have to be swapped out before they can start releasing organics back into the tank. When I go on vacation, I run a 200 micron nylon sock so I don't have to worry about it overflowing while I'm away. The felt clogs up a lot quicker.

I use 200 micron felt. Wash them in the wash machine with some bleach and detergent. Second rinse cycle and then soak them in rodi with a couple caps of Prime. My sump holds three. When I go on vacation I'll put a nylon one in the 3rd slot or just leave it empty.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

For reference, there are 25.4 microns per 1 thousandth of an inch, also known as a mil.

So, a 200 micron sock has an average opening size of approximately 8 thousandths of an inch. Or, 0.008 inches.

200 micron is what I use as well. I have a few 100 and 75 micron socks I use also, but they need changing about every other day.

Fwiw,
Copepods range in size from 0.5-2 millimeters whereas amphipods range in size from 1-340 millimeters.

So, the smallest pods are around 500 microns.

If you want to encourage a healthy pod population, you may want to consider the above.

I use 400 microns in my oldest tank. Only because I have no good way to use foam as I do in my other tank. I have been very focused on developing healthy microfauna populations for the last couple of years.

Back