Filter socks. Yay or nay?

Rickdareefa

Supporting
Reaction score
Does everybody use filter socks or pads? I've come to a point where I'm not sure if they are even helping or possibly a hurting my tank. Seems like they get clogged so quickly lately that they're just a real pain to deal with and clean. I've been running my tank without them for about 3 days now and it really seems like everything it's going a little bit better. Are these things really necessary I would like your opinion.

Attachments

• 15589839315711724147861.jpg
    15589839315711724147861.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 1558983975851208636737.jpg
    1558983975851208636737.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 11
  • 15589840072861870702383.jpg
    15589840072861870702383.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
I'm a yay. Lots of different thoughts on this subject but I've always ran them and haven't ever had an issue. I also occasionally use one of those slotted cups that I load up with media and filter floss. Either way, I do like having some sort of mechanical filtration in my sump. Is it needed? Probably not but I have to vacuum my sump 2-3x a year and I think the detritus would build up more if I didn't have the sock. A lot of folks think they can be "nitrate factories" since they hold on to decomposing materials but I still used them even when my nitrates were high. At this point I've been thinking about dosing nitrates so getting a little nitrate boost from a dirty filter sock would actually be helpful.

If you aren't diligent about changing then then they don't benefit you, with that being said you could try running them part time like put one in Friday morning and remove it Sunday evening until next Friday. Your skimmer will be working overtime with the added participate in the water, but the added particles can be beneficial to your coral too. I've ran with and with our them, i like how clean my water is with them so I've started using them again. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I use a cup filled with polyfil in one tank. One tank is a biocube and i have sump sponges in the overflow. The last is my frag tank and i have nothing there. Ive done it both ways in the past but i vote for mechanical filtration. I like the cup with polyfil because it is cheap amd i just throw it away. No need to dirty up the washing machine cleaning socks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I only use them when I want to polish the water. Which is hardly ever. Wanna feed your corals? Blow the rocks off and stir the sump up at lights out.

I stopped running socks several years ago. Every so often, I throw them back on; but usually end up removing them. Never had any problems.

I never tried the cups and pads idea; I like the sound of it and will give it a try soon.

Back