Filtering an entire lake?

dkelly

Market
Reaction score
I was researching nitrate filters this morning and stumbled across this article.

a>

Phosphate can be filtered out safely in a saltwater tank but I am extremely certain that there is no easy way to reduce nitrates in a saltwater tank. I use to do 50-80% water changes to keep it down. There are other methods to help keep the nitrates low tho. If you have a mature tank of at least 8 months and have alot of live rock and a 2-4'' sand bed, a efficient skimmer and modest feeding, your nitrate should be at 0.

Sulfur Denitrification is showing some real positive results and isn't quite as finicky as some of the past denitrification schemes. DSB in a fuge is always an option. Here is another that I plan on playing with some day. Using a LiterMeter along with the water exchange module. Basically, a dosing pump that removes X liters or ml per day and replaces it with fresh saltwater. Water changes have proven over time to be the most reliable way of stabilizing a tank and preventing old tank syndrome. With this later method, you basically mix up a salt vat about once a month and the rest is done for you.

Old tank majig don't happen to everyone but I somehow find it relative to the sand bed since it have so much more surface area than live rocks. I find that to be the no1 cause of old tank problems. This is also one of the reasons i'm leaning towards a BB and a sandbed sump. It'll be much easier to clean since the sump have a drain, and i can just shut off the return pump, stir up the sand like crazy, and drain all the murkey water out and put clean one in. This is a good way to prevent alot of problems.

Back