FINALLY Got my CA reactor stabilized

derek_s

Market
Reaction score
Well, it took almost 2 months, but I think it is finally right on the money. The PH controller keeps the primary chamber's ph at 6.6, and the tank is steady at 9.5 dkh and 480 cal for the past week. The effluent drip is about 1 drip per second, or 60 ml a minute (i think that is what it equates to).

The problem really was that I underestimated how much I needed dripping in. I started with one drip every 10 seconds, and slowly worked down to 1 per sec. I didnt expect it to take so much until I saw Sailfin's reactor almost dribbling in the effluent to his 90 gallon. Granted he has much more growout, but I realized it might possible take a good bit of juice to keep things right.

Finally. :yay:

well with such a low drip rate keep in mind the ALK will be much higher (I believe that was your problem) lesser of a drip will make the pH in the reactor lower thus raising the alk. I find it better to be where you're at, nice drip rate and then deal with the bubble rate to tune it in. Glad to hear you have it set....you shold see a huge growth rate within the next few weeks....slow a bit then keep a nice steady growing.

Thats funny I remember when you saw mine. Glad your getting it worked out. They can be touchy to set up but once set they are easy to maintain.

Glxtrix I always see you and others here talk about adjusting the bubble rate and I am confused. If you have a controller you should set the bubble rate enough that it does not take too long to correct the ph in the reactor and leave it alone. Then you adjust the rate of effluent to meet your tank needs.

Having a controller to me alleviates having to mess with the bubble rates and testing your effluent, the controller does all the work for you. I guess my experience setting up my a reactor was different and a lot less complicated then a lot of people make it sound. I think that people who use to run one without a controller mix what they had to do with what is required when running run with a controller.

Keep it simple is what I say.

Joe

sailfish;246068 wrote: Thats funny I remember when you saw mine. Glad your getting it worked out. They can be touchy to set up but once set they are easy to maintain.

Glxtrix I always see you and others here talk about adjusting the bubble rate and I am confused. If you have a controller you should set the bubble rate enough that it does not take too long to correct the ph in the reactor and leave it alone. Then you adjust the rate of effluent to meet your tank needs.

Having a controller to me alleviates having to mess with the bubble rates and testing your effluent, the controller does all the work for you. I guess my experience setting up my a reactor was different and a lot less complicated then a lot of people make it sound. I think that people who use to run one without a controller mix what they had to do with what is required when running run with a controller.

Keep it simple is what I say.

Joe

I do it the same way Joe, so I dont have to be so concerned with bubble count. I assumed Lee meant 'if' I was not using a controller.

I'd still be working out the kinks if I didnt have one...

Nah, I use a controller too...but lots of people don't understand the connection between the bubble rate and drip rate. Granted yes, the bubble rate is one of the least impt parts, however it plays a good role in easy setting. I do agree with you that the drip is your main key to adjusting the ALK.....I guess how I stated it didn't really reflect that....ha, after reading, it didn't reflect it at all. I do find sometimes that my bubble rate will change at times....keeping that constant is a plus....I think thats due to my cheap regulator. At any rate, as Joe says, keeping a good eye on your drip will help....and yes it does take a bit of time to get them right, but once done, it's great!

If you're using a controller, the bubble rate will not "adjust" the ph, the controller will. You should set the bubble rate so that it's not wide open throttle...that'll inject too much co2 at one time and make it difficuly for the controller to regulate and could lead to co2 lock.

Thanks for the info. My bubble rate is about 1 bubble a second, and seems to run about 50% of the time. I tried slowing it down so it levels out to be on almost constantly, but my milwaukee reg seems to be more consistent at a slightly higher bubble count, as when its lower it seems to jump aound.

Back