Finally HOME!!! So much to do with the tank...

kayakatl

Market
Reaction score
Well after 2 months of being in Antwerp I am finally home! Miss HoneyB did an excellent job with the tank while I was gone but now its time to get everything right. I need a little help and a few suggestions.

1st. I need to get rid of the wet/dry and go for something my skimmer will fit in when it comes today or tomorrow. I have a 55 gal tank with 11 3/4 in width. What kind of tank can I put down there. I was hopeing a 20 long, but it aint gonna happen. I would love to build a custom acrylic, right now i need a solution, ill build after the holidays. Oh, and one dumb question. Is it tempered glass you CAN or CANNOT drill? I was going to just add the 20 long to the end of my wet dry,but drop the drain tube straight down to the water level through where the bio balls are supposed to go, put the skimmer where my return pump is and connect the end of the wet dry to a fuge end to end, and fill the rest of the fuge with LR and pod colonies.

2nd. What should my dosing be for the little colony of zoas? I have calcium, Iodine, and strontium/molybdenum. They have lost color on their shafts since they got angry. What are they lacking?

3rd. If I put a valve on my sump pump it gets outrun by the siphon, but with out one the pump outruns the siphon, it's so close to equal but just not dead on. Suggestions?

4th. I know this one is always a hot topic. I need new salt. I am thinking Seachem. Anyone have any strong objections? Gotta be better than the instant ocean (non reef crystals) I have been using.

there has got to be more. As I come across the questions you know yall will be the first to get them.

Get a Sterilite plastic tub to substitute for a sump - may or may not be permanent. US Plastics has some nice tubs too...

Tempered: Can NOT drill the bottom. Can drill the back as the backs and sides (and fronts!) usually are not tempered.

Don't dose what you aren't testing for. A little iodine may be good, but a lot is toxic. Unless you have a heavy soft coral and/or crustacean load, iodine shouldn't need to be dosed, and shouldn't ever be dosed if you aren't testing.

What annoyed the zoas in the first place? Bleaching/color loss can have many causes. What are your parameters, what kind of lighting and what's your temperature?

If the siphon isn't keeping up, it's either too small for the system, or it's not working properly - air bubble in the U-tube or whatnot. If you put a valve on the pump the overflow box should keep up - as long as the pump isn't too strong for the volume the overflow box was built to handle.

Nothing wrong with Instant Ocean, but it doesn't have as many bells and whistles as the reef-specific salts. Everybody will have an opinion on that one ;) I used IO for years, now we use RC in the shop and I use Seachem at home. I was a Kent user for years (at home) but they aren't "the same" as they used to be, it's good salt, but I prefer Seachem now.

Jenn

Back