Fire palaces and reef tanks?

Reefplumber13

Market
Reaction score
So as it gets colder. I will be using my fire place. Who here has their tank in a room with a fire place? Wondering if it will be any issues?
My tank is roughly 8 foot from my fire place so it's not in direct heat but I'm sure can still get some

I have my main tank in my fireplace room. I don't have a fire more than a few times a week but it hasn't made any noticeable difference. It may warm the tank some but when it's cold outside that would probably mean the heater not running as much. It wouldn't hurt to keep an eye on the temp the first few fires just to make sure. That's about all I would do.

The vast majority of fireplaces down here are nothing more than massive air vents for the house. I would actually expect the pH to go up or stop falling at night with people in the house vs dropping like it normally does without a fire going. Very few fireplaces have their own vent to pull in outside air built in. The result is all the air rushing out the chimney is replaced by outside air through every gap and seam in the finished space resulting in lower co2 levels in the house.

High end houses that are built right with correct fireplace venting or those with wood burning stoves/inserts are a different story. But I'd doubt that would be the majority here on the forums.

The main thing you will notice about your fish and other livestock when you start using the fireplace is some of them might start wearing sweaters and smoking pipes. The spontaneous appearance of fish adapted recliners is something many people see as well.

Back