First Pic of the BB 75

sprayin70

Market
Reaction score
Well my tank is now fully BB. Here is a quick pic.

Enjoy!
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
54716=3727-HPIM6006.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
54716=3727-HPIM6006.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="HPIM6006.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

So did you just gradually remove all the sand? Over what period of time?

Yes, I removed it slowly over a few weeks. I didn't have a very deep sand bed to begin with. I was only using 80lbs of livesand. I like it much better now.

If i was to do mine all over again I would go with no sand or just styrofoam bottom. Sand is cauing me problems... Big fuge with deep sandbed is a much better way to go I think.

Eh I still just can't get over the asthetic look of it. What ever blows your skirt up. :)

Alan... I think you have too many corals in your tank... some need to come live with me :)

btw, I see the new mille... very nice!

oh fantastic, you're really gonna like your BB, I loved mine!!!

Thanks everyone. I really did like the sand bed but with all the flow it just wasn't a happy tank. LOL.

I think not very compacted styrofoam is just as good. And it helps with anoxic decomposition.

I agree with using star board instead of styrofoam. I can just see styrofoam breaking apart and making a HUGE mess. That is why you aren't aloud to have styrofoam docks on Lake Lanier anymore.

Alan,

Thanks for having Simon and I over to see your BB Tank. It is obvious that you spend some time caring for your system. It was one of the cleanest setups I have ever seen. I really liked your selection of corals and the color you are pulling out of them with your lighting.:thumbs:

Alan, the same goes for me. I did appreciate the time at your home. You obviously have a passion for this hobby and I can say you have had great success.

Keep up the good work. I definately learned a few things last night. I hope you did also.

Congrats.......

So i am gonna take a little from this, if i go bare bottom there will be no bad effects as long as i fill the sump up with sand?

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I really had a great time last night. Simon I learned alot and I hope to apply it sonner than later. BTW You and Mike are always welcome back.

jeep9783;63179 wrote: So i am gonna take a little from this, if i go bare bottom there will be no bad effects as long as i fill the sump up with sand?

if you have a sump with sand in it, youre defeating the point of going BB.

glxtrix;63256 wrote: if you have a sump with sand in it, youre defeating the point of going BB.
how so? The barebottom is for the display...your sump would simply be filtration. Thats how i understand it anyways.

Stroid;63257 wrote: how so? The barebottom is for the display...your sump would simply be filtration. Thats how i understand it anyways.
The sand is not for filtration...denitrification rather. The idea of a remote sand bed, I.E. few to no rocks on top of it allow for it to do it's job, denitrification. When you have it in the display, along with other large rocks, you have a dead spots where "junk" builds up. This is where problems occur.

Back