First post - newbie questions

thbrewst

Market
Reaction score
I have been enjoying my 50g planted/freshwater tank for some time now. I have always been intrigued by saltwater aquariums, so I am thinking of setting up a new tank and try my hand at it. Looking for folks thoughts on a few random things...

- I had initially been thinking of getting a larger tank as I have the room and really want to set-up something nice. Is starting with a large tank (~100-150) a bad idea or is the workload about the same with the added benefit of size and stability?

- I had been thinking about buying used as that seems like the most economical way to get a nice set-up. If I were to find a full package (ie everything including fish) is that too dangerous for a newbie to start with? While I like the idea of being fully functional quickly I am concerned that I would miss learning valuable lessons by not setting up the tank from scratch.

- Compared to freshwater fish keeping, how much more skill, work, time, money is needed for saltwater? Are there any specific areas that I should be aware of going in? I think I always had it in my mind that saltwater was much more difficult, but I have had numerous conversations that would lead me to believe it is not.

- Fish Only, FOWLR, or a Reef set-up? My eyes tell me that a Reef would be the way to go, but this seems like another place where I feel like I might be biting off more than I can chew. Thoughts? Is there a 'responsible' way to work up to a Reef?

- Not trying to start a discussion that has likely been had a million times, but what are the obvious things that I should know about filtration? From my reading I think that I would skew toward a sump set-up, skimmer, a couple of power heads (more?). What else should I be thinking about?

- Lighting. My initial thought would be MH, but I have not fully researched this area. I am putting the tank in a nice area of the house, so I am almost certainly going to want a canopy to hide the lights. Should I expect that to cause major temperature problems? Based on the canopy should I reconsider MH?

- Lastly, the open ended question. What information do you wish you would have known going in that I can learn from?

Many thanks from a Newbie.

BTW, I would like to add myself as an additional representative of the East Side, since there seems to be far more participation from the west...

BTW #2, If anyone has any insider info on a nice tank set-up for sale let me know. I may not be ready to buy yet though, as you can see from all of my questions above.

thbrewst;542125 wrote: I have been enjoying my 50g planted/freshwater tank for some time now. I have always been intrigued by saltwater aquariums, so I am thinking of setting up a new tank and try my hand at it. Looking for folks thoughts on a few random things...

- I had initially been thinking of getting a larger tank as I have the room and really want to set-up something nice. Is starting with a large tank (~100-150) a bad idea or is the workload about the same with the added benefit of size and stability?
Buying used really depends more on your budget. I'd say 150 might be a little large, but is doable. You might consider 55 or 75 as a good starting point. But, if you know without a doubt that you'll want a bigger tank in the near future, best to start with the tank you want than have to spend more money on upgrading.

As far as getting a full set up, it's up to you. You can save money that way if you find a seller that's trying to unload quickly, but I think there are some valuable lessons that get missed.

- I had been thinking about buying used as that seems like the most economical way to get a nice set-up. If I were to find a full package (ie everything including fish) is that too dangerous for a newbie to start with? While I like the idea of being fully functional quickly I am concerned that I would miss learning valuable lessons by not setting up the tank from scratch.
This really depends on the quality of the used items. Make sure you're getting something that will last a long time. Better to buy only once than have to replace something you think you got a deal on.

- Compared to freshwater fish keeping, how much more skill, work, time, money is needed for saltwater? Are there any specific areas that I should be aware of going in? I think I always had it in my mind that saltwater was much more difficult, but I have had numerous conversations that would lead me to believe it is not.
I think FW is more forgiving than SW, but the rewards are definitely worth it. It's not that SW is more difficult, there's just a little more information you need to know and a little more maintenance.

- Fish Only, FOWLR, or a Reef set-up? My eyes tell me that a Reef would be the way to go, but this seems like another place where I feel like I might be biting off more than I can chew. Thoughts? Is there a 'responsible' way to work up to a Reef?
Again, this depends on personal preference and budget. The cheapest route would be to go FOWLR with inexpensive fish, but it won't be as visually appealing or as challenging. Personally, I don't really give fish a second look. I'm all about the coral. Unfortunately, when people come over and look at the tank, they ask about the fish. Most don't even know you can keep coral in a tank.

- Not trying to start a discussion that has likely been had a million times, but what are the obvious things that I should know about filtration? From my reading I think that I would skew toward a sump set-up, skimmer, a couple of power heads (more?). What else should I be thinking about?
See links below.

- Lighting. My initial thought would be MH, but I have not fully researched this area. I am putting the tank in a nice area of the house, so I am almost certainly going to want a canopy to hide the lights. Should I expect that to cause major temperature problems? Based on the canopy should I reconsider MH?
This depends on what type of tank you want. Power Compacts are probably the cheapest option, but limit the type of livestock you can keep. Metal Halides are the most expensive, but will give you almost unlimited options as far as livestock. T5s are in between, but still have almost the same options as far as livestock. If you're going reef, I'd definitely recommend T5s or MH.

- Lastly, the open ended question. What information do you wish you would have known going in that I can learn from?
Skim through the reef discussion forum, you'll find a lot of good information there. My main wish is that I would have had this club as a resource. I've been in the hobby for six or seven years, and only discovered the value of this club last year.

Many thanks from a Newbie.

BTW, I would like to add myself as an additional representative of the East Side, since there seems to be far more participation from the west...
:yay: We need more Eastsiders here. Eat that Westside!

See the links below for some great information:

http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43292">http://www.atlantareefclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43292</a>
[IMG]http://www.melevsreef.com">www.melevsreef.com</a>
[IMG]http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php">http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php</a>

Those should get you started. Skim through them, but learn the basics front and back. It's not difficult, it's just a lot of information.

I think Barbara and Brian both gave some sound advice. :)
Welcome to ARC!

Take a look at the $30 membership, too. It will pay for itself ten times over! ARC sponsor stores give a minimum of 10% discount, which really helps out, not only when you're setting up, but also while you're continuing to run your tank.

brianjfinn;542159 wrote: Buying used really depends more on your budget. I'd say 150 might be a little large, but is doable. You might consider 55 or 75 as a good starting point. But, if you know without a doubt that you'll want a bigger tank in the near future, best to start with the tank you want than have to spend more money on upgrading.

Yeah, that is another place I am torn. I figure that starting big is not necessarily the best route, but with the money and time that I would expect to invest I figured it would be better to go ahead and get what I think I will want to keep for a long time. My hope is that the larger tank plus my inexperience is not too much for me to handle at once.

Welcome! The larger tank won't make things hard to handle in and of itself.
I think it's a great plan to buy a size you want to ultimately have in the beginning.

When shopping used systems, be sure to research the specific equipment that is part of the package. If you buy a complete system but the skimmer, lights, etc are substandard, you'll be buying again down the road. Ask all the questions you want, we are here to help our fellow hobbyists!

Hi guys,
I have a newbie question about my setup: Since I am a total beginner, I have been reading a book but didn't find an answer in it.

Quick summary of my basic setup: I bought a 55G freshwater setup from a colleagure and converted it to a saltwater tank this weekend. It is a Marineland Aquarium with Penguin 350 and 200 filters hanging off the back, and 60 lbs of live sand in it. In a few days I intend to add ~50lbs of live rock too.

I am wondering if I need to connect the air-pump and add bubbles in the tank? How do I find out if there is enough oxygen for the fish?

Thanks in advance!

PS: Just thought of couple of more things while staring at my dazzling empty tank:

1. How long do you run the filtering system? 24x7?
2. Does leaving the light on at night help speed up the cycling?

Thanks again!

Welcome! If you're looking for a 1 month old Oceanic 29G biocube HQI (MH shimmer) with Solana stand (real wood not particle board) to start your hobby PM me. I have all manuals as well as the receipt from the LFS. Bought it and 1 month later upgrading to a different setup so it's up for grabs :)

KM30004;556888 wrote: Hi guys,
I have a newbie question about my setup: Since I am a total beginner, I have been reading a book but didn't find an answer in it.

Quick summary of my basic setup: I bought a 55G freshwater setup from a colleagure and converted it to a saltwater tank this weekend. It is a Marineland Aquarium with Penguin 350 and 200 filters hanging off the back, and 60 lbs of live sand in it. In a few days I intend to add ~50lbs of live rock too.

I am wondering if I need to connect the air-pump and add bubbles in the tank? How do I find out if there is enough oxygen for the fish?

Thanks in advance!

If you have good flow, you will have good oxygenation. The HOB filters will produce all the surface agitation you need, without the unattractiveness or salt creep problems of an airstone.

KM30004;556889 wrote: PS: Just thought of couple of more things while staring at my dazzling empty tank:

1. How long do you run the filtering system? 24x7?
2. Does leaving the light on at night help speed up the cycling?

Thanks again!

Filtration typically is run around the clock. You don't need lights during the cycle at all; they are certainly unneccessary at night. Of course, we all run them during the cycle so we can look at our tank, empty though it is. :)

Back