First setup! Comments/concerns

keithm

Reaction score
Hey everyone just looking for some setup tips, or concerns. I don't have everything yet to post pictures, but here's what I bought:

RedSea 170 reefer
Vertex omega 130 skimmer
Neotherm 150w heater
Kessil A360we with gooseneck & spectral controller
BRS dual reactor
Sicce 714 gph return pump
Vortech Mp10
Ordered 48lbs of live wet Pukani air rock

Still intend to order:
20lbs of substrate
Maybe a UV sterilizer

Am I leaving anything out??? Anything I need to know about the RedSea 170?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I and at least 2 others had a Neotherm heater explode/catch fire. I believe it was the 200W in all cases, so maybe you are okay with the 150w

Good to know about the heaters! I'll definitely watch for that! The description of the 170 says it has an "integrated top up" chamber on the sump. I'm not 100% sure how it works, but it shows a float switch and smallish chamber.

What's the total gallons on the tank? I ask because I'm not sure 20lbs of substrate will be enough. If you intend to have gobies or any other sand sifting critters....make sure it's fine enough they can sift through it.

Personally, I would ditch the Neotherm and go with an Eheim Jager heater. I've used one for 3 years (maybe more) without fail.

you'll need to invest in an RODI if you haven't already if you want long term success.
i know its just something else, but its important.

i also agree that an ATO is very nice to have, however you can manage without one for a while if you don't mind daily top offs
(no offense but in case you are new and don't know.... you top off with FRESH water.. .not salt water)

Looks like youre on the way to enjoying the hobby!

porpoiseaquatics;1061583 wrote: What's the total gallons on the tank? I ask because I'm not sure 20lbs of substrate will be enough. If you intend to have gobies or any other sand sifting critters....make sure it's fine enough they can sift through it.

Personally, I would ditch the Neotherm and go with an Eheim Jager heater. I've used one for 3 years (maybe more) without fail.

i think its 45 g

It's 34 gallons in the display, and 9 in the sump. A friend is giving me his 5 stage RO/DI to get me started with that. What size substrate do you recommend? I would like to have some sand sifting critters...conch, and some snails.

As for how much.....I'd say 1" depth. I like the Fiji Pink for size. My gobies and starfish never had issues with that size. It is a little light and will blow around depending on which direction you point your powerheads.

Which test kits do you recommend, and does the brand of GFO or GAC matter any?

tip for the hobby.. BUY YOUR FISH AT THE BEGINNING!! if u dont want to wait a few weeks quarantining them AFTER YOUR TANK IS CYCLED. quarantine them in a hospital tank (10 gallon or bigger if u can) treat them when your tank is cycling for ich, & parasites. this process alone may take upto 12 weeks to ensure a ich free tank. and it will allow u to add all fish at same time(which alot of people recommend to reduce aggression on new fish) just my two cents.

iifeainteasy;1061821 wrote: tip for the hobby.. BUY YOUR FISH AT THE BEGINNING!! if u dont want to wait a few weeks quarantining them AFTER YOUR TANK IS CYCLED. quarantine them in a hospital tank (10 gallon or bigger if u can) treat them when your tank is cycling for ich, & parasites. this process alone may take upto 12 weeks to ensure a ich free tank. and it will allow u to add all fish at same time(which alot of people recommend to reduce aggression on new fish) just my two cents.

This might be misleading, the quarantine tank should be cycled also.

Back