First Sump Attempt

saltjockey

Reaction score
I am going to build my first sump! I want to thank DonS for showing me some great ideas on how to get started and for giving me the confidence I needed. You'll find the first picture below. It is a 40g breeder that needs to be cleaned out then I can get started on building it out. It will house a skimmer, refugium and hopefully some other goodies. Once complete I will be able to use it to filter my 120g DT, which is a gift I will be getting myself around Christmas. Should be a fun project and inspired by DonS!

Picture of the sump
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1045479=63241-image.jpg
>
1045479=63241-image.jpg
class="gc-images" title="image.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

love DIY projects and applaud anyone that try's......:thumbs::cheers:
I would have taken the first baffle all the way down to the bottom of the tank and about 2" from the top, that section would be your filter section where your filter socks go and with all the water going under the baffle it would push all the debris into the second chamber where the skimmer and other stuff you might put in there.
second I would put 3 walls for the pump section, these are mostly meant to be a bubble trap so bubbles for the skimmer don't get sucked up into the return pump and back into the DT.
if you cut all 3 pieces the same height (about 6-7" tall) and put the first one on the bottom of the tank and the second about 1" higher and the 3rd at the bottom, then water would flow over the first, under the second and over the 3rd to the pump thus no bubbles.
you can also put a piece of filter pad in between first and second walls the catch particles.
when it is done like this the first and the middle chambers always hold a constant amount of water and the only one that fluctuates would be pump section when water evaporates.

just a little helpful criticism and my personal opinion.

looking forward to you system build.

Back