First three pics with Canon XSi DSLR and Macro Lens

acroholic

Lifetime
Reaction score
OK Guys,
I bought this camera and macro lens about three months ago. Decided I didn't want it, tried to sell it but didn't, so I have decided to use it for what I got it for originally: to share some pics of my corals and my reef. I am only a point and shoot photographer so far, so have some mercy. This is my first high quality DSLR camera.

These are my first three decent pics taken with the 100 mm macro lens. I don't know how to use this camera except for basic operation, so these are pretty basic and there is a LOT of room for improvement. No processing, just as they appear with the Halide light of the tank.

First pic-A chalice I bought from Keen Reef. Turning purple with the biggest green eyes I have seen on a chalice. Thinking of calling it Keen Green or Dave's Green Eyed Monster. It was not that attractive when I bought it. Cool thing about chalices-you never know what they will morph into.

Second Pic-A chalice Called Aqua Red Fusion. Me like.

Third Pic-One of my $7 Ricordeas.
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
298006=15567-$7Ric.jpg
>
298006=15567-$7Ric.jpg
class="gc-images" title="$7Ric.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
298006=15566-ARFusion.jpg
>
298006=15566-ARFusion.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ARFusion.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
298006=15565-KeenChalice.jpg
>
298006=15565-KeenChalice.jpg
class="gc-images" title="KeenChalice.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Well now that the camera is 'used' wanna sell it? :)

J/K

Looks nice.

bratliff;298051 wrote: Very nice. What kind of lens are you using?:thumbs:

Thanks. It is a Canon EF f/2.8 100 mm autofocus macro. I haven't learned about processing and white blance on the camera yet.

Looks good Dave. It was very nice meeting you the other day, and seeing your remarkable setups.

Looking good Dave.

Your in trouble now. Cameras and taking pictures is as bad as reefing on the wallet. I forgot to mention that you almost have to have a tripod that is if you take pictures with a high aperture which allows for you to get more of the coral in focus.

Joe

Hey Joe,
I have a quality Slik tripod and a Canon remote shutter release as well. I haven't unpacked them yet. Tripod is really heavy. What I noticed last night was that it was hard to keep the camera still enough to get close up macro shots. That macro lens is big. A couple of the reef photography gurus on R2R suggested a tripod and remote release. They have some great "How To" sections at the site as well.

The camera comes with some decent looking editing software, so hopefully I'll get into that at somepoint. Right now I'm going to focus on getting realistic colors in my pics, and I think white balance is key to counteracting the washed out effect the halides have.
Dave

sailfish;298113 wrote: Looking good Dave.

Your in trouble now. Cameras and taking pictures is as bad as reefing on the wallet. I forgot to mention that you almost have to have a tripod that is if you take pictures with a high aperture which allows for you to get more of the coral in focus.

Joe

VERY nice pics. I can never seem to get my pics. to be anywhere NEAR that good-lol; FWIW if you frag that $7 ric. LMK-i'd like some for that price range! ;)

Very nice shots i think for a nOOb with a camera, Mine i think are worse.

Hey take some shots of your LE Tyree Soli and the Blue Millie colonies that I got those frags from.

The Soli is starting to turn greenish under my T5s what were they under yours? blue milli looks the same just fully extended polyps

Back