Fish advice...

circlek

Market
Reaction score
My 92 is two months old. It's going to be a mixed reef. Currently the only fish in it is a Dragon Goby.

I want to add an anenome and a clown pair, and several tangs. I have never kept an anenome or tangs before, so I am not sure what the best order would be.

It is my understanding that anenomes require a more established tank. So I'm leaning toward adding the anenome and the clowns later. My question is would it be OK to add the tangs now, or should they go in last?

Also, should I add the tangs all at once, or add the least aggressive first and let him get established?

Karl

Tangs are the type to slowly kill each other off in smaller reef environments due mostly to stress. I would stick to one tang.

I would get the clowns and let them host in your corals. Many people are drawn to this hobby because of the anemone/clown relationship, and the majority of anemone's pulled from the ocean don't make it. I've never purchased one and I have no regrets. My clowns host in my toadstool and everyone is happy.

Anemones can really do some damage to a tank and it's not worth it to me.

Your tank is too young for a nem... let it run another 4 to 6 months before you get a nem, and if you could find one from a hobbist tank you will have a better success.
As for tangs, stick to one tang and avoid Acanthurus genus. You should be ok.

I put 2 anemones in my tank after being setup for 1 month?? Everything has been good. Also with a 92g you could put 2 or 3 tangs in there. It is prob better to wait on the anemone. Make sure you have T5 or MH lightining. Its also best to add tangs at the same time.

Thanks for the advice. I have done some more research on reefcentral and (as usual in this hobby) there are widely differing opinions on tangs.

Karl

In larger tanks, you can keep tangs in groups (talk to Horsesziggy). However, I suggest only keeping one Zebrasoma and if you get a less aggressive one such as a Yellow Tang you can easily put in a Hippo or similar.

Back