fish are jerks sometimes

picoreefguy

Market
Reaction score
well i got a couple green banded goby's on wednesday and after i dripped them i had only seen one come out. i figured maybe one was hiding or they were taking turns coming out or i got really unlucky and one died behind a rock or something. when i finished dripping them, as i was dumping them in the tank one got stuck on the wall of the bucket so instead of looking where the first one went i was paying attention to the second one and getting him back into the water. in that amount of time the first one disappeared and i hadn't seen it till today. so today i was feeding my tank and noticed the one GBG climbing/hanging out on my overflow box and thought to myself "man it would suck if he went up to the top and got sucked over into the overflow box" then i had the bright idea of looking to see and sure enough there he was, inside the overflow box swimming around like nothing had happened. this is where 2 design features that i built into the tank came into play. first was the fact that i had tinted the back of the tank but left the middle where the overflow box untinted so i could see if something ever got stuck. and 2 i didnt glue in the pipes on the inside of the overflow box for 2 reasons one so i could get in there to clean and 2 so that if this happened i could flush the fish down into the sump where i could more easily catch it. so i contorted one of my drains to flow right into a filter sock and turned on the return and waited for a while. he wasnt having it so i got in there with my arm and a then with a net to try and scare him in to the drain and after 15-20 mins of not knowing if what i was doing had any effect i looked in the filter sock and there she was. sorry for the insane long narrative but as a reward heres the before and after pics!

just chilling in the overflow
8D5C3413-70F0-4CA6-8B90-BCA49B6AB7D5_zps5gn35oaf.jpg
alt="" />

and finally caught in the sock
1D975620-A05B-40C3-B2A9-46B635EFC890_zpsplqkvmx4.jpg
alt="" />

now shes safely back in the tank

He got to ride the flume :)

Never EVER glue in a standipe. There are many reasons not to, but this is one of the more important ones. Glad you got him out.

He'll probably end up in there again... they do that over and over.

Jenn

Back