Fish Catching Help

ouling

Market
Reaction score
How do you catch a already shy fish? I got one of these large pest trap that i will give it a try later. Anyone have a better idea? Got fish traps?

I've caught fish by waiting until the middle of the night, then blinding them suddenly with a spot light. You could give that a try unless it sleeps deep in your rockwork.

Shining the light was suggested, but my Tang took off like a rocket when I did it to him twice. Plus I have a lot of cave areas and the tang slept in those. Ultimately, I left the trap in there for a couple days with some food in the very back. All the fish got used to swimming in and out like it was rock work. First time, I let the cord go to shut the door the tang beat the door shut (and that door shuts fast). He moved faster than I blinked. Second time, the flame angel blocked the escape. Happily living in Sals tank now so i am a big fan of the traps, but they did scuff some coral as my tank is pretty packed.

I'm a fan of catching them while they sleep in complete darkness. All I use is a red flashlight, a net, and a poking stick. The stick gets them to move out of their sleeping spots between the rock and in the complete pitch black they run around and often end up resting out in the open, which is where the net comes into play.

My other favorite technique... is to slam the glass really hard... all the fish jump out onto the floor and you just casually pick em up and sort em out. It works for wrasse and other jumpy fish :p.

every time I need to catch a fish I put the net in the tank at the surface and let it sit there for a little bit (15 min or so), then I grab the net and put some food in the tank. Since by now the fish are used to the net they swim to the top and I just scoop them up.....granted I only have a 30 gallon tank but this trick works great in my 135 cichlid tank as well.

it could be that this also works for me because I am like flash gordon fast......j/k....

geez, who remembers flash gordon?

Back