Fish Death --> Temperature Spike?

curator

Market
Reaction score
I recently moved and thanks to advice from members here, the tank moved well. Everything has gone well for a couple weeks, but then I lost two fish. My parameters are fine, but I was shocked to find the tank's water temperature to be 84!!! The house never gets above 78, the heater in the tank is off, and nothing is different from my last location, where the temp. never got above 80 in the tank.

Was it the temp. that killed the fish? Why would my temp. be getting so high?

Thanks,

John

Na, 84 deg won't kill the fish unless they're cold water species.

Is the tank more enclosed/less ventilated than before? Is it in direct sunlight? Are you sure the heater is off (touch it)?

John, so sorry for your loss.

I'm guessing that the move was tougher on the fish than it seemed. A 30 gallon tank is going to be less forgiving than a much larger system and your livestock is going to be more sensitive to environment changes. It's possible there was enough die-off from moving the rock and/or stirring the sand to cause a spike.

It's also possible that the fish in question were harboring a disease or parasite that didn't bother them until they were in a stressful situation.

A third possibility might be a voltage leak since your power sources has changed, but I would doubt this possibility since your other fish are fine.

Hope you have no further problems.

I would recheck your parems especially ammonia & nitrite, but I seriously doubt that you had a spike after a few weeks from the move. Spikes would usually come right after your bacterial filtration was disturbed or die off on rock substrate.

It could be an issue with oxygen
check your filtration system throughly to make sure everything is in place. Also, make sure you have your power heads and/or return directed at the surface a bit. Insure that the surface ripples and that there is no film on the surface.

Back