Fish Fighting

sailfish

Market
Reaction score
I am in need of some advice. Recently the aggresion in my tank has gone from about a 3 to 8.5. out of 10.

It seems to have stared with MY PDB chasing my pink margin wrasse who has been in the tank for about 2 months. When he first was added their was no aggression from any body to him or from him. Now the PDB chases him untill he lays on the bottom under the elegance coral. At the same time the Lineatus began chasing all the other wrasse around including the pink margin. At first it was constant and included neptual type flashing now he has relaxed some. I have never seen any aggression between my wrasses before this. I have all super males except for the Christmas wrasse which I am not sure what he is.

3 days ago I taped 2 PDB tang pictures 2 pink margin pictures and 2 Lineatus pictures to the tank hoping that would help. It did not and I removed them Sunday. This afternoon I caught the PDB and put him in the Sump.

Question any Ideas why this happened all of a sudden?

Any suggestion on how to fix it?

I plan to leave the PDB in the sump for a few days and see if this will fix the aggression between the wrasses. If it does I may add him back and see if he chills out and if he does not I will kill him.

Just kidding I will find him a new home. Do not go crazy people it was a joke.

I have had the PDB for about 2 years and he has always been an _ss but this aggression torwards the wrasses is new and the poor pink margin is getting the brunt of it.

I have a grounding probe on the tank as well.

Thanks Joe

Try a mirror. May take his mind off of it when you put him back in the tank.
My balance was thrown off when my heater malfunctioned and killed almost everything including the boss of the tank-a clown tang- and left the powder blue to rage in his new found power.
The mirror trick calmed him back down.

Fish list:
Wrasses:
Lineatus male
Pink margin Male
Flame Male
Yellow flanked Male
Christmas undecided maybe female

Powder Blue Tang
Chocalte tang
Blue Throat
Harlequin Tusk
Pair of swallow tail angels
4 Bimac Anthis

I will give the mirror a try.

Thanks Joe

I find the mirror thing isnt a good "solution", just a temporary adjustment. How much do you feed, Joe? Powder Blues become very aggressive in defending a "feeding patch". If the food is considered scarce by the fish, he is goign to defend his patch viciously. Just a thought.

Well I had reduced feeding but only by 1 cube of frozen. I started feeding even more then before after this started but it did not seem to help. I was still was feeding 7 cubes of mysis every day and usually a clip of Algae.

I guess the wired part is how it's been two months since any fish has been added and 1 month since one was removed.

I figured he might be pissed about the large elegance & elegance frag blocking his way on one side of the tank. Then today after it was gone he still kept acting like a ***.

I thought one of my Bimac's was about to change to a male but that was about two weeks ago so I guess I was wrong. Not sure if sex changes could cause this.

All tests are normal or better then normal checked heaters and grounding probes tonight.

Joe

How has the Harlequin Tusk been? Ive been contemplating buying one for my tank.

Joe,

If the tang is going after ALL fish, it is likely not a socioreactive behavior, but an environmental.

I think I figured it out. There isnt enough room for the fish. You'll need to remove (and sell to me), more corals. Mystery solved!!!

He is fine he likes to chase new wrasses for the first couple days then goes back to normal after a week.

Joe

James S.;355249 wrote: How has the Harlequin Tusk been? Ive been contemplating buying one for my tank.

Maybe they got a good look at your face and got really scared?

I would think food would be the cause. Try turning the lights off for a day and moving/adding something in the tank to "reset" the territories.

jmaneyapanda;355254 wrote: Joe,

If the tang is going after ALL fish, it is likely not a socioreactive behavior, but an environmental.

I think I figured it out. There isnt enough room for the fish. You'll need to remove (and sell to me), more corals. Mystery solved!!!

LOL I was thinking of finding the blue throat a new home but then all this started.

Joe

He should be used to my face by now. Unless it's the loss of my hair.:)

Joe

Skriz;355258 wrote: Maybe they got a good look at your face and got really scared?

I would think food would be the cause. Try turning the lights off for a day and moving/adding something in the tank to "reset" the territories.

The only problem we have had is with a Blue Damsel that would chase yellow tail damsel, skunk clown and striped damsel. Tangs and angel did not tolerate him. Any way yellow tail his until recently, Blue damsel is missing???? Can't find him and haven't seen him for over a week. He was not a jumper but could have jumped out (open tops on tank). If he did jump I have a herd of cats that would have snatched him up in a second. If he got stuck in some rock maybe a shrimp or crab got him. Soryy I'm no help to you.

Well I know of a subpar home for your harlequin if you decide to sell him :)

James he would love to come to your home but the blue throat would be the first to go.

My Tank is a 156 and all of fish are 4.5" or less. The PDB does not mess with the angels, tusk, the other tang, just the wrasses and thats new.

The PDB is and always has been an _ ss but in this tank things were going well then BAM.

Joe

I will deal with that when I get there.

Joe

andregarcia_73;355312 wrote: Hmm....... If the rearranging to break up established teeretories doesn't work what are you thinking in doing?

Back