Fish food

Steve Burton

Vice President
Staff member
Supporting
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel like we are getting ripped off on fish food? Or can anyone explain why it costs at least three times as much as T-bone steak and ten times more than human processed food?

Cheerios .20/oz.
Frozen Cod .42/oz.
Frozen Shrimp .54/oz.
T-bone steak .72/oz.

Dry Purina dog food .o3/oz.
Canned Purina dog food .17/oz.
Dry Friskies cat food .05/oz.
Canned Friskies cat food .11/oz

Frozen Brine Shrimp $2/oz
Frozen Marine Cuisine, Beef Heart or Mysis Shrimp $2.85/oz.
TetraMin flakes $3.14/oz.
Spectrapure pellets $2.11/oz.
Hikari pellets $2.97/oz
Reef Roids $9.45/oz.
Reef Chili $18.57/oz.
Benereef $14.28/oz.

Same reasons a t5 bulb for your shop light is $10 and your t5 for the reef is $30.

Economy of scale and the willingness of those in this hobby to spend amazing amounts of money on seemingly cheap items.

Same reasons a t5 bulb for your shop light is $10 and your t5 for the reef is $30.

Economy of scale and the willingness of those in this hobby to spend amazing amounts of money on seemingly cheap items.
Wait i shouldn't t run the 6000k t5s that I found in the shop instead of daylight whites? Lol but yes thats exactly it. We need it so we're stuck

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

Label anything as for aquariums and charge 10x. Like the 3oz tubes of silicone Sealant that cost more than a 10oz cartridge

Take a little r&d, mix it with some branding and a lot of marketing…add a dash of hoodwinking and boom!

Label anything as for aquariums and charge 10x. Like the 3oz tubes of silicone Sealant that cost more than a 10oz cartridge
I went the hardware store route on my first sump back in '08ish and didn't realize that 100% silicone can actually mean 99% silicone and 1% antifungal. Nuked everything but one of my clowns and some caulerpa. Only make that mistake once.

I went the hardware store route on my first sump back in '08ish and didn't realize that 100% silicone can actually mean 99% silicone and 1% antifungal. Nuked everything but one of my clowns and some caulerpa. Only make that mistake once.
That sucks! Yeah, you do have to know exactly what you are getting, and buying things specifically labeled as fish safe can be justified as worth the cost for the peace of mind.

I would recommend watching some of those videos on how to make your own frozen food. Everyone seems to have made a video of it and I watched the one from ReefBum and am thinking about trying it. This would make your cost come down tremendously. Using the cost of the cod and shrimp you priced would bring the overall price down into that 50 cents per ounce range depending on what you add. If you try it let us know how it goes and what you used.

https://reefbum.com/coral-fish-nutrition/diy-homemade-fish-food/

Last edited:
I would recommend watching some of those videos on how to make your own frozen food. Everyone seems to have made a video of it and I watched the one from ReefBum and am thinking about trying it. This would make your cost come down tremendously. Using the cost of the cod and shrimp you priced would bring the overall price down into that 50 cents per ounce range depending on what you add. If you try it let us know how it goes and what you used.

https://reefbum.com/coral-fish-nutrition/diy-homemade-fish-food/
Been there. Do that. (Not trying to sell anymore, just showing my last recipe)
Thread 'DIY Fish Food' https://atlantareefclub.org/boards/index.php?threads/diy-fish-food.1186044/

My only real issue with DIY is the convenience of cubes vs a giant block of frozen sea food.

Alright so my real issue is I'm lazy. 🤣

I may buy those and give it a go though. Would be nice to pinch a few pennies.

Back