Fish help

sstraub5150

Market
Reaction score
Looking to add another fish to my tank. I have several sps corals and 7 clams. Has anyone ever had a problem with pygmy angels messing with their corals?

dawgdude;196607 wrote: Haha I would say that your pygmy angel has a VERY high probability of harassing and killing multiple clams.
I don't have a pygmy angel. I'm looking to buy one. I've had one before and it didn't present a problem but I'm being safe and asking for input.

sstraub5150;196615 wrote: I don't have a pygmy angel. I'm looking to buy one. I've had one before and it didn't present a problem but I'm being safe and asking for input.

And input is exactly what Charlie gave you...while you may not have had a problem in the past, he's telling you to be cautious in general with a pygmy angel since you have 7 clams.

which means you can afford to lose atleast 1 or 2 ;-)

Charlie's right. If the angel feels like a nibble, he'll take one. You can take precaution and overfeed; if he's kept full, he may not be tempted. BUT, you will always run the risk of a nibble. Especially when you have such a large menu to offer!

Pygmy angels are hit or miss. They are so beautiful though that taking that risk is worth it imo. I've had a few in the past and one was a nipper and one wasn't. Eventually I had to give them up though since they would destroy any wrasses I added to the tank.

FutureInterest;196882 wrote: Pygmy angels are hit or miss. They are so beautiful though that taking that risk is worth it imo. I've had a few in the past and one was a nipper and one wasn't. Eventually I had to give them up though since they would destroy any wrasses I added to the tank.
I've been looking at an african flameback and i've read that they are just as you said hit or miss with them but I so far since i've been looking for another fish, this is the only fish that I really like.

Out of thousands of different species of fish that exist in our vast oceans this is the only fish that you like? Research more and I am sure you will locate several fish that are both pretty and more reef friendly.

If you are dead set on this specific fish than you have several options.
1) be prepared to replace the clams and coral as they get eaten.
2) start a fish only system and as the fish prove not to be reef frienldy move them over to it.

What you want can be done you just have to face the consequences.

I have a tank that I maintain that is full of puffers and coral, though it has taken alot of time and money it is currently a happy reef, well except the 100 snails and crabs that are replenished monthly.

sstraub5150;196888 wrote: I've been looking at an african flameback and i've read that they are just as you said hit or miss with them but I so far since i've been looking for another fish, this is the only fish that I really like.

I like that particular one a lot as well. I've heard they are typically hit and not miss... but that's just hearsay. G'luck! :)

You can do the cherub angel or atlantic pygmy angel for sure as far as coral wise. My angel is trained to eat clams-I put a fresh one in there every once in awhile so he's eats that, but he hasn't touched anything else-even a feather duster. My potter's angel on the other hand doesn't eat my coral but picked my feather duster to death.

Back