Fish in my sump?

larrynews

Supporting
Reaction score
Is there any advantage to having a few fish in my sump? Its remote and it’s around 125gallons of water, houses my skimmer return pumps and a small refuge. I would need to make sure the return pumps won’t suck them up, I was wondering if there was an advantage. I have sock filters which catches a lot of the food that goes thru the over flows. Look for thoughts. Thanks. Thanks 6 plus years old.

Not really. Fish would eat some food but would poop the same amount to just go into the socks anyway. The sump is for fish that need a time out, not long term.

From what your saying it sounds like you want fleece roller to catch all that stuff without dealing with socks.

That is my precise setup as well: 180 gallon sump in basement, system about 6 years old. I have used the sump for time-out. I have occasionally thought about putting things down there permanently, but I am not sure of the point. I have fleece socks, so it just means I'd have to regularly feed a second tank, which is a pain long term. Yes, you can keep fish down there, but I've yet to come up with a reason to do it other than temporarily.

Like others have said I use it mostly to keep critters that misbehave in the display tank. Currently have a Tuxedo urchin down there that was eating my GSP as well as an Arrow Crab that was getting a bit too grabby with my fish. I've also temporarily kept aggressive fish down there like a tomato clown.

Unless it's to serve a specific purpose, I don't see any advantage to keeping a fish down there. Perhaps if there was a specific pest you wanted to control?

Another reason I could see is if you have a display refugium, but then it's not really a refugium since the fish will eat the pods.

Back