Fish in powerheads

hiimsean

Supporting
Reaction score
I've heard horror stories about fish chilling in powerhead's then getting killed when the start up. I usually have one of my wp25s off at night but now that I picked up a blenny I'm a little worried about it. Has anyone here lost a fish that way? I guess I'll just leave it running all the time now?

Im not sure but i have two chromis that i suspect got to close to my power head now they both are missing there tail fins

Sean...when my powerheads go to "night mode", they still run but at about 1/10th of their normal output. Is it possible to dial yours back at night? That would prevent the issue. Otherwise, I used to cover mine with the toes of old panty hose (I know somebody is going to ask what color I used to wear....go ahead....ask).

porpoiseaquatics;1016537 wrote: Sean...when my powerheads go to "night mode", they still run but at about 1/10th of their normal output. Is it possible to dial yours back at night? That would prevent the issue. Otherwise, I used to cover mine with the toes of old panty hose (I know somebody is going to ask what color I used to wear....go ahead....ask).

To be truthful, I don't want to know. LOL

The blenny will go inside if it is off and then it's........ With the wp25 if you have the night sensor on them they will automatically go into night mode

I think most fish found dead in power heads died by some other means and was pulled to the power head.

grouper therapy;1016602 wrote: I think most fish found dead in power heads died by some other means and was pulled to the power head.

I suspect this to be the case as well.

I'm referring to when you have a powerhead off and a fish decides it's a nice little hiding spot, the the powerhead starts back up killing the fish. Never head one get pulled into a PH.

I'll look for the sensor for the Jaebo and see if I can get that to work.

HiImSean;1016618 wrote: I'm referring to when you have a powerhead off and a fish decides it's a nice little hiding spot, the the powerhead starts back up killing the fish. Never head one get pulled into a PH.

I'll look for the sensor for the Jaebo and see if I can get that to work.

Does the PH not have a cover? I could see that a week fish may get sucked into it if in close proximity but, they would have to be pretty week which means it would be symptom more than a cause in my mind. Additionally, if you are using a Jaebo, does it not turn on and off regularly when in normal mode? If so, a fish caught by surprise should have an opportunity to escape before any major harm is caused (unless it someone got inside of the guard.)

I've never had one killed , but my blenny will lay in mine any time it is turned off , I'm afraid of it happening one day.

Back