Fish pricing (private transactions)

civics14

Market
Reaction score
What's everyone's thought on this? Member to Member fish pricing.
There is some expectation that pricing should be lower than retail, but why?

For the most part, buying from a store has higher risk of disease and loss due to the fish being recently transported and caught out of the ocean. Adapting the fish to captivity and getting it to eat prepared food. Also, the chances of diseases are a lot higher also since so many fish are in a shared system.

So, why do people expect to pay less from buying from a member? Typically, you would get some history of the fish, adjusted to captivity, and you can usually see the member's system and if there are any diseases present. Also, you know what fish you're getting and you're not driving to a fish store to buy a specific fish only to find they don't have it, its not eating, or not in optimal condition (I know I have).

People are willing to pay for QT service from a store or pay higher prices for pre-QT fish, so why not pay retail price on a fish from another hobbyist?

I get it, a hobbyist don't have the overhead like a LFS, but at the same time they took the risk buying it in the beginning. Spent the money to feed it or treat it for any disease.

Just to be clear: this is not to bash any fish store or member. I just want to get people's opinion on this.

questions like this is never easy because i'm willing to pay retail to certain extent for some fish but what stores are you comparing to? and their respective overhead.

i personally went through 3 copperband before landing one that eats frozen. so of course i'm willing to pay retail price for the Gwinette county from a hobbyist's tank......i have not been to other lfs for some time and i don't know what other lfs's prices are for copperband but i know for some that some lfs are more expensive than others.

also, this is not me ignorant of the fact that these lfs take risks when they import fish.

When I was buying fish - I happily paid higher than local retail prices for healthy animals.

Retail in this hobby is a flat out obnoxious mess - buying a healthy animal (including corals) from a local, trusted source in your local community should not be seen as an opportunity to save $5 - it should be seen as an opportunity to further promote healthy animals maintained within a healthy community.

That cheap fish from your LFS will eventually wipe out your tank - however, that healthy fish that has been in your buddies tank for the past 2 years is much less likely to do so.

questions like this is never easy because i'm willing to pay retail to certain extent for some fish but what stores are you comparing to? and their respective overhead.

i personally went through 3 copperband before landing one that eats frozen. so of course i'm willing to pay retail price for the Gwinette county from a hobbyist's tank......i have not been to other lfs for some time and i don't know what other lfs's prices are for copperband but i know for some that some lfs are more expensive than others.

also, this is not me ignorant of the fact that these lfs take risks when they import fish.
No LFS in particular. I'm just saying, like when I buy fish, I go through all the copper, QT, and also get them to eat dry and frozen. So, when I list it for sale, I list it at retail prices knowing they are getting a healthier specimen. Why should I take a loss when I have a bunch of time and money invested in it also. It's not like its a used tank equipment that get worn out.

I just don't understand the mentality here that it should be cheaper than retail because its not a store.

Many I see posted, are at the same price or sometimes more than what I see at a LFS, no issues for me. People always haggle, I would stand your ground as a seller. I do see some folks fire selling due to conflict or a move. With my truck and gas prices, buying from a member is rarely cheaper. Anything I am actually targeting (I’m attempting to stock a tang tank) is usually taken in seconds and I never really have a chance. It’s crazy how competitive buying from a member is! lol. Demand can be like a rollercoaster, too. Yes, of course I want that mated pair of clowns, but I do not have an available tank! haha. Anyways, I’ve been waiting literally for over 3 months to get fish from members (incl some posting here…hi again!). I just recently waved the white flag, bought a white tail bristletooth from Reef Shac, and went online to get the rest of the tangs at the size I needed yesterday. My QTs have been cycled too long! My preference will always be to buy from members, but it is tough if you get too picky! :)

Depends who it is from and how much you trust/know the seller, what his tank looks like, etc.

If I don’t know you or of you and your tank or you’ve only had the fish for ~2 months - I’d expect to pay less than retail.

I also think that people price it below retail as they need to get rid of it faster. It also looks bad when you have multiple price reductions IMHO

I think everyone can put whatever price they like on anything they want to sell, and anyone who doesn't like that price should move on or negotiate in private only. Any public denigrating comments are totally out of line. There are many valid reasons why someone would value a fish they are selling more than local retail prices. All of my fish have gone through rigorous qt with two treatments of Prazipro and over three weeks in therapeutic levels of copper, which is a big investment in time and measurable cost. If I were to sell any ( which I will be doing soon) I will weigh all that, plus the urgency of my need to sell, the original cost, what I perceive the demand to be, local retail prices, and several other factors. This is an expensive hobby, and I like to reduce my cost wherever possible, while upholding my (I hope) reputation of being fair and helpful. I would consider fish from many members to have a higher degree of health, therefore worth more than prevailing retail prices.

My non-scientific observation has been that "standard" fish (the top 12 you can find at any store) sell for less than retail at a LFS. You have something unusual? People will be all over it, at a premium. You may have a hard time giving away a clownfish. I will also add: if you QT your fish, you will no longer be buying them as much. Have not bought a fish in 2 years.

Same reason there is a private sale car price and a used car from a dealer price. Someone has overhead to cover, there is more risk involved with private sale and most people have a hard line in their head that paying "retail" price for something is the worst thing ever.

Think about a "used fish" this way.

A blue damsel = a beat up dodge dart. No one wants its, you will probably have to pay someone to take it.
Clownfish = Average camery. Nice and dependable, not flashy, someone will buy it.
Blue tang = Used BMW with a really good warranty. Someone already paid for all the trouble and its a really nice car.
Regal angle that wont eat coral = Classic ferrari. Holy hell you have one? And its alive and you actually want to sell it? I will probably regret it later but name your price!

I’d paid more at a LFS simply because I understand there’s overhead and would like them to stay in business. If someone has dedicate time and money to opening a store front and stick things I need, I would like them to succeed. If a reefer wants to stock 10s of thousands of dollars at their house and open it so I can come in and browse as I wish, I’d be willing to pay more too

I mean... IF its the same price as a store.. I'm opting for the store probably. If a seller is motivated to sell a fish privately he will probably offer it cheaper. Bottom line is that he can ask whatever he wants for his fish. Same with corals (which I DO have experience selling). When I was doing frags they were REAL cheap for BIG frags... My motivation was meeting people and helping them along while maintaining the hobby... so ... things were cheap:)

I see where you are coming from. If the fish was kept by a responsible hobbyist that knows what they're doing then there's a decent chance it may be healthier and more accustomed to tank life than one from the lfs. The lfs however has to pay for the store, the employees and so much more that an individual hobbyist doesn't so you might think of it as a tax to keep the store running to pay a bit more. Arguments can be made on both sides but in the end the free market decides. What it sells for is what it's worth. I'll usually always buy from someone I know in the hobby before a store but that's just me.

Back