Fish quarreling

sigshane

Market
Reaction score
Hi guys. I have a 90-gallon FOWLR, with several small community fish, including a very small (1-inch, maybe 1-1/2) maroon clownfish.

I recently added a one-spot foxface, who is eating very well, and displaying "peaceful, not-stressed fish" coloration.

Well, the little runt of a clown is bullying the foxface, which is at least ten times bigger! I can see the foxface going into the defensive stance, i.e. flipping sideways and pointing those spines up, and they DON'T look like they are playing.

Is this something I need to be concerned about, or will it pass?

Thanks,

sigshane;1014828 wrote:

Is this something I need to be concerned about, or will it pass?

Thanks,

Maybe.

To both questions.

Establishing a pecking order in a tank is pretty normal, and foxfaces aren't exactly known as being aggressive, usually.

Maroon Clownfish, however, are known to tend to be a-holes.
They're not just born that way, some work at it all their life.

I have seen maroons attack any and all sorts of fish, rearrange rock work, bury stuff just for the sake of beautifying their space the way they want it.

One even grabbed a flat rock I was moving with its mouth and started trying to push it in another direction.

Rumor has it that there are some really cool and mellow maroons.

It doesn't sound like yours is one of them.

Then again, that's just my opinion based on my experience. I could be wrong.

Maroon Clowns are notoriously mean, but I would think, in a 90g they should be able to coexist.

Does the Maroon have an anemone? That can help keep the clown in one area.

Keep an eye out and if the problem persists, you can move live rock around to reestablish territories.
You can also float one or the other in a strainer and keep them separate for a few days, or if you have a qt or sump or someplace to move the clown, then let the foxface get adjusted and return the clown in a week or so.

They will get used to each other. Just keep an eye on it. Other members have provided sound advice.

I have a mirror I tape to a tank when i see one fish being aggressive after introducing a new fish. The bull fish is so wrapped looking at its self that it ignores the other fish.Usually about a week of having the mirror in place is all it takes to curb the aggressive fish behavior.

A mirror - awesome!

Thanks for all the tips people, I really appreciate it.

Good suggestions all around. I've seen one or two big Maroons that were sociable but most are sociopaths ;)

Rearranging rockwork when introducing a new fish usually works.

Jenn

dball711;1014852 wrote: I have a mirror I tape to a tank when i see one fish being aggressive after introducing a new fish. The bull fish is so wrapped looking at its self that it ignores the other fish.Usually about a week of having the mirror in place is all it takes to curb the aggressive fish behavior.
I'll have to remember this , thanks for sharing.

JennM;1015664 wrote: ...Rearranging rockwork when introducing a new fish usually works.

Jenn

This seems to have done it. I was actually trying to catch the little bugger, wound up moving around pretty much all of the rock in the [failed] attempt :mad2:. Anyway, the maroon seems to have his 'spot' and doesn't like anyone even passing through. What a little $hit...!

Thanks for the suggestions all.

Back