Fish question

kirru

Market
Reaction score
Well since the 40 is going good I am thinking of live stock. Well I have two fish I need help on.

I know an tang cannot be kept in the 40 but can a juvenile tank be kept till it out grows? I'd would sell it after it outgrows the tank or is that not a good idea?

also, how about a mandarin?

I have plenty of rock plus i have a total system volume of about 60g with a fuge.

Thoughts?

Kirru;285149 wrote: I know an tang cannot be kept in the 40 but can a juvenile tank be kept till it out grows? I'd would sell it after it outgrows the tank or is that not a good idea?

also, how about a mandarin?

You may find it hard to sell a fish you're attached to.

second, manderins need weel established tanks usually, they mostly feed off of pods.

just my opinions

yea, i thought about that, but its still in the thinking stage.

yea, i heard the mandarins need an established tank and the 10 i had before was crawling with pods. so I'm probably gonna get that pod pack thing to seed my fuge again cause I'm sure it dwendled in the move. but still it would be okay provided it had enough to feed on correct?

It would probably wipe out those pods pretty quick. Those things are munchers. It would probably be best to wait a while and let everything get nice and settled before trying one-that is if you have enough rock to support it. Some folks say 100+ lbs. I kept one alive in the beginning stages of my SW life alive for about 3 months in a 55 with around 60 lbs of rock but it inevitably died.

buy a tang if you want. If you get too attached you can always upgrade :). But i would say no to the madarain

Thanh386;285173 wrote: buy a tang if you want. If you get too attached you can always upgrade :). But i would say no to the madarain

that'd be an idea actually, like a convincing point so my parents could buy it :) hehe not. still just thinking nothing in stone yet

Do some checking on LA. It will tell you min requirements for fish and make a list based on that. Everyones opinion is different. Some will tell you to get a tang others will tell you not to. Its your tank put what you want in it. :) Its your money too. If it doesn't like being in there it will let ya know.:sad:

What type of tank are you setting up? Softy, sps, planted, fowlr? May help knowing this first with some decisions about your stocking list. Honestly a 40 is tooooo perfect of a size not to be a wrasse tank. Mmmmm flashers. (the fish)

Smoothie;285284 wrote: Honestly a 40 is tooooo perfect of a size not to be a wrasse tank. Mmmmm flashers. (the fish)

Cory, I agree. Get some wrasses. I have three McCosker's and absolutely love them. They are so beautiful that I cannot stop staring at them.

IMO, your tank is too small for a tang. Also, I would wait for a few months before trying a mandarin.

Tank is a mixed tank of softies, LPS, SPS, and whatever else.

Back