Fish Room Construction Materials Help

outdrsyguy1

Market
Reaction score
Hello again all, I need some suggestions on a couple things for the fish room build out.

Flooring type? Currently slab on grade. Want something simple. Was thinking maybe some rubberized stuff or even just an epoxy non slip coating like is done on garage floors. I like the feel of the rubberized stuff, i don't want to tile.

Dry wall type? Mold resistant or Moisture resistant?
I don't know much about dry wall, from my limited research it looks like mold resistant drywall is the only option. Seems the greenboard stuff has fallen out of favor for cementboard which I don't think will work for this application (ceiling and walls).

Vapor barrier? Since the room is going to have elevated humidity I considered putting a vapor barrier behind the dry wall so moisture can't escape the room into the floor above or other places, but now i'm starting to think that might just trap moisture against the back of the sheet rock and cause problems. Suggestions?

I was asking the same questions a while back, as I am getting ready to move my sump and other gear into the garage or basement.

It seems like you can get away with just using standard drywall if you will be using a decent dehumidifier and do a good job painting it, but mold resistant is not that much more and will provide another level of protection. On top of that, I am planning on putting up FRP paneling on the walls where splashing could occur, likely along the lower 4-ft of all surrounding walls. Marlon did this in his garage and it looks nice and should help protect the walls in case of splashing.

In regards to the floor, I am planning on just epoxy coating the floor and putting down anti-fatigue mats in places where I might be standing for extended periods. Stained/Polished concrete is another option, but likely much more expensive.

I would not put a vapor barrier in, IMO. You want your house to be able "breathe" in order to reduce the likelihood of trapped moisture.

Thanks Grant, I've been in Marlon's garage but don't remember the paneling off hand. That FRP paneling, does it go on top of the dry wall or in place of it? how do you handle the seams?

You glue it to the drywall. There are plastic strips/channel you use on the seams, edges, and corners.

http://www.buildgp.com/densarmorplus-interior-gypsum-panels">http://www.buildgp.com/densarmorplus-interior-gypsum-panels</a>

This is a product that I use in custom wine cellars, perfect for a fish room. My opinion is 2 part epoxy on the floor.

Thanks grouper. No worries about sanding and such with fiberglass facing with regards to health risks? Just regular dust mask? Also where's it sold locally?

Back