Fish selection

Jeremey’s reef

Reaction score
Hello everyone, as I impatiently await my new aquarium which should be here within the next three days I can’t help but Browse the internet in search of fish to add to it. What are you guys and gals thoughts on a yellow box fish be kept with a blue ribbon eel, or a blue ribbon eel with two clown fish. It is set in stone that I will be adding a purple tang once the tank is cycled but who in the world want just o e fish. I have two clowns currently so I’m set for three fish but not quite sure on what other fish will play nicely with the tang and clowns. I will say this I have wanted a blue ribbon eel for over half a year and now that I have upgraded my system I am ready to purchase one but not if it doesn’t get along with my current stock list. On the other hand the box fish is quite the looker in my book but can I have them all in a 130g display?

I’ve had ribbon eels in the past.

They are the ultimate escape artist, which can squeeze through openings you aren’t likely to find.

They are notoriously difficult to feed & have poor eyesight.

Not recommended, especially as a beginners fish.

I would wait until the box fish and the clowns were fairly mature (at least 3-4”) before putting even a baby ribbon in there. Keep in mind those guys can expand their mouths and bodies quite a bit to accommodate a meal.

Box fish get quite large. They aren’t the most agile fish so they turn radius is quite big too lol I feel like most box species aren’t suitable to home aquariums. Plus if they die they can wipe out your tank from the toxins they release.

Box fish and Ribbon eels are two fish that I don't think are appropriate for most (really any) reefers. Box fish get over a foot long. I think the minimum tank size for an adult is something in a 6'x2' range. Absolutely need to have carbon running all the time. If they get stressed even they can wipe a tank. Ribbon eels are just notorious for dying. One of the hardest fish to keep (along with the moorish idol). I wouldn't recommend either one.

As others have said, ribbon eels and boxfish are not good tank inhabitants. But if you must have the look of these fish then I would suggest an engineer goby for the look of an eel and then a valentino puffer for a boxfish. The puffer is not reef safe with inverts but you should be able to keep corals. If you have a fat budget, you could look at the golden dwarf moray. Theyre like $400 but are peaceful with small fish and can be kept in smaller tanks. Hope this helps!

As others have said, ribbon eels and boxfish are not good tank inhabitants. But if you must have the look of these fish then I would suggest an engineer goby for the look of an eel and then a valentino puffer for a boxfish. The puffer is not reef safe with inverts but you should be able to keep corals. If you have a fat budget, you could look at the golden dwarf moray. Theyre like $400 but are peaceful with small fish and can be kept in smaller tanks. Hope this helps!
I will look into the golden dwarf moray Eel

I will look into the golden dwarf moray Eel
I do have a golden dwarf eel. Great eel and doesn’t bother anyone but peppermint shrimps.
From my understanding all eels can be escape artist and its always recommended to have a tight fitting lid, however I do not have a lid. I do have several hiding spots in my rock work and keep it well fed, so it rarely ever leaves its cave.

Back