Fish spy cam with a twist

haninja

Lifetime
Reaction score
I had this idea in my head for quite some time and finally got the time to do it. It’s a submersible fish spy cam.
I started with a cheap web cam that I dismantled and took out off its casing.
IMG_0340.jpg
alt="" />

This is an old used DI resin cartridge from my IO/DI unit that I hacked on the table saw. Plus a clear acrylic circle cutout.
IMG_0434.jpg
alt="" />
IMG_0328.jpg
alt="" />
IMG_0329.jpg
alt="" />

Some Weldon
IMG_0339.jpg
alt="" />

Place camera inside
IMG_0342.jpg
alt="" />
IMG_0343.jpg
alt="" />

Finish product
IMG_0344.jpg
alt="" />

Added bonus – night spying…
IMG_0431.jpg
alt="" />

Inside the tank
IMG_0432.jpg
alt="" />
IMG_0433.jpg
alt="" />

And finally – live feed: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/haninja"><span style="color: #800080;">http://www.ustream.tv/channel/haninja</span></a>
The video quality ia not great due to the cheap components, but as a proof of concepts it’s not bad :thumbs:

Not sure why, but the linked page with the live feed crashes Firefox every time I try...

I'm looking for a cheap PC I can stick in the bar (directly across from my 75 tank) and run a webcam to for live feeds. I have an old laptop at home and I have a few webcams sitting around, so I should have something up after Christmas (when I go home to get the old laptop).

I just need to figure out how to mount the camera with a good view...

Nice idea, I'm going to try and load with IE or Opera.

RaisingTwo2006;261223 wrote: Awesome- I need something like that to catch which cat is pooping on my laundry room floor!!

This will stop that!
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
261258=14529-ruger 10-22.jpg
>
261258=14529-ruger 10-22.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ruger 10-22.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

that is so cool!!! im seeing double!
i have a small cam im not using..... how exactly do you stream it? I assume you plus it into a computer and have it running all the time? is that site free to use?

web cams cool but is it blurry to anyone else? also your fish are really active.

Very cool. I have a friend who has an underwater camera he uses for fishing--I always thought it would be cool to get a fish-eye view of my tank. I never thought about making one! Hats off!

Thank you all.

Scubagirl12;261263 wrote: that is so cool!!! im seeing double!
i have a small cam im not using..... how exactly do you stream it? I assume you plus it into a computer and have it running all the time? is that site free to use?
Lauren, yes - you basically plug the web cam and sign up to that website. It is free and you don't even have to bother with 'real' info...

One thing to add: this thing is basically a bobber and it keeps trying to float. My original fastening method didn't work very well and I ended up adhering it to a suregrip magnet. So, if you are going to try it yourself, make sure you either weight it down or find a good way to fasten it so it doesn't float/

That's awesome. I thought about this a while back (no, really! I did!) when I first setup my 240g, but most web cams at the time were no smaller than a baseball, which made finding a container difficult, and hiding it in the tank even more difficult. I was first thinking about building a glass box and hiding it in man-made rock, but I was worried about coraline buildup. Either way, I was lazy and never did any of it.

Kudos to you for actually pulling it off (and a lot sleeker than anything I came up with!)!

Hanin... That is freaking sweet... Tell you what, I will trade you your cooler back for you to make me one! ;)

Wonder if there is a better quality webcam that you could use to get better video. 10 mpix on a web cam never comes out well... But then all web cams suck in image quality.

How well does the night vision work?!?

Ya, webcam quality sux and the acrylic 'window' doesn't help either... I didn't even think about dealing with coraline, however, it can easily be removed and cleaned.

I'll tel YOU what Brandon, get me a small webcam and I'll make you a retirement present ;) (and I want my cooler filled with goodies when I get it back)

And the night vision is not very effective unless the fishes are right next to the webcam.

Hey what ever happened to this? Great idea well built and dissapeared.

Back