Fish Trap

fishtank

Market
Reaction score
before I spend $50 on a new fish trap I realized this is something that we only use from time and wanted to see if anyone out there has one I can borrow? All good if not I will buy one and will be happy to make it available to anyone who should need it.

I have a wrasse and flame angel that I will be moving in 1 week from qt to dt. Appreciate the help.

Most QT setups I've seen have minimal to no obstructions. What's in yours? Also, is your QT lighted? I might have an idea that works better than the trap.

qt is lighted, and I can remove all obstacles just looking for a stress free method as possible.

Just use two nets or a net and a specimen container. Use the net to direct the fish into a corner and scoop them out. You'll be waiting for hours near the fish trap... don't think they're really intended for a QT setup situation.

I agree with Tony. The stress from that method likely wouldn't be much more than shutting a trap door on them, then lifting them out of the water and placing in another tank. Depending on the proximity of your QT to the DT, you may just be able to make a quick transfer with the net.

However, if stress is a concern, since you have a lighted tank, use this method:
1. Make the tank completely dark for a prolonged period of time, typically at night when there's no ambient light from outside.
2. While still dark, and assuming you don't have MH lights on the QT, flip the lights on. The fish will be temporarily blinded and have no idea what's going on like a deer in headlights. You can then easily scoop them up and transfer them before they know it.

After trying to trap a fish for a couple of days in my DT, I read about the above method and it worked the first time. I even had to bump the fish out from behind a rock.

Good luck!

The fish trap will still be here if you need it.

A member on here posted a cheap and looks to be a really neat and efficiant one. was a square critter cage with the door on top. he had success let me see if i can find the post...

Myreefclub0070 posted the great fish trap. Its a goldfish / guppy plastic mini aquarium. Petco has them for something like $7.00. I totally agree with the others above. Wake him up at night he wont have a clue where he is in the morning. Lol

Myreefclub0070 posted the great fish trap. Its a goldfish / guppy plastic mini aquarium. Petco has them for something like $7.00. I totally agree with the others above. Wake him up at night he wont have a clue where he is in the morning. Lol

Pure reef just got some brand new traps with the feeder and everything. These have been out of stock everywhere. Probably the best trap I've seen... Based on the inefficiencies of the one I have, I'm sure these would work better.

I might need to invest in one. I am nervous about putting the flame angel in my tank after reading so many issues with this fish and ich.

Back