fishless reef?

stickx911

Market
Reaction score
If I were to run a reef tank with no fish in it. Or maybe just one tang, what would I have to dose it with to keep the hermit crabs and other maybe small animals in the tank. I know they scavenge for left over food, but if I did not have any fish to feed, would I just put a small amount of something in (and what would be the best something)?

Thanks

Just throw some flakes in every day or two and they'll find them.

Be aware that if you're going for an all-out SPS tank, you'll probably run into problems with too little nitrogen (Nitrates) in the water with no fish. This is a pretty specific issue, so I wouldn't plan to start dosing nitrates anytime soon...

Sinking pellets work, too. I would dump a pinch of those into my fuge every week to bulk up the isopods.

has anyone done this before? or just had a tank with one fish and a fully stocked reef.

Dana Riddle (who writes a lot of articles in Advanced Aquarist and used to be a native Atlantian) never had fish in any of his tanks, personal or research. Didn't like them.... said they got in the way of the corals.

Most people that keep reef tanks want fish, so I doubt you'll find many people that only keep corals and no fish.

I actually agree with the statement above. I dont like fish and just look at them as coral accessories. Although I only keep nanos my Biocube 29 only has one fish and not sure if I'm going to stick any in my new setup.

I keep very few fish, usually just one or two. Nitrates are extremely low but not nonexistent. This is due to feeding them and their waist, both of which benefits the micro fauna and inverts. I'd keep one fish if for no other reason than feeding a tank with no fish just seems weird. But heck, if you are dosing with phyto or something you really don't need fish.

Back