fix a mag pump.

stickx911

Market
Reaction score
Last night a small twig lodged itself into my mag 9 that was powering my pond and now it's not working right. What can be replaced/repaired? Do I just have to get a new one?

It needs to be manually "kicked" to spin, and when it does it only goes for a little bit. I took off the front cover to remove the jam, but it doesn't really open up too much. These things are not cheap so I don't want to buy a new one if its a simple fix.

I'm not sure who else to turn to to ask, so I am grateful for any assistance. Thanks!

usually you have to get a new impellar and a housing. The housing is the platic piece that comes off with the four screws. You can tell if its busted by looking inside and seeing if the 3 little bars that connects to a circle where the top of the impellar is held.

Edit: did it break any fins off the impellar. If not you might can just get away with a housing. If the housing is busted it will cause the impellar to wobble and get hung up.

Edit: I think i spent like under 20 bucks to fix my mag 7

nothing appears to be broken. no missing fins, no cracked housing...the impeller does not appear to be completely centered though. I figured that was just due to the magnets. I'll try to take it apart and snag some pictures in a bit.

I bet that whole part where it holds the impellar centered is broken and gone.

What Smallblock said. Usually the only 2 things that can go wrong are the volute (impeller cover) and impeller itself. Usually the volute goes first, and the impeller will be fine, unless the pump was run for an extended period of time with a bad volute, then the inside of the pump can wear unevenly.

You should be able to take that cover off completely - there is nothing else that you can "open" on that pump.

It's easy to replace volutes and impellers - even *I* can do it. I carry the parts.

With the model 9.5 you will need to know if it's model A or B (it's on the sticker on the pump proper).

Jenn

JennM;646204 wrote: What Smallblock said. Usually the only 2 things that can go wrong are the volute (impeller cover) and impeller itself. Usually the volute goes first, and the impeller will be fine, unless the pump was run for an extended period of time with a bad volute, then the inside of the pump can wear unevenly.

You should be able to take that cover off completely - there is nothing else that you can "open" on that pump.

It's easy to replace volutes and impellers - even *I* can do it. I carry the parts.

With the model 9.5 you will need to know if it's model A or B (it's on the sticker on the pump proper).

Jenn

Thank you I couldnt think of that word at all. Jenn is where I got my stuff to fix the mag 7. I should have listened the first time about the volute but I thought it was ok, because the part that holds the impellar centered inside the volute was i assume chopped up and gone. Since all of it was gone I didint know there was supposed to be something in there. She told me but I just got the impellar :doh:

JennM;646204 wrote:

Jenn

pm on the way (once I upload pics)

Edit: this is what I'm working with:

so its a mag 9.5b.
IMG_7815.jpg
alt="" />

I'm guessing the broken white stick is the volute?
IMG_7820-1.jpg
alt="" />

the housing also looks a little worn away in a spot, its weird, but would that make a difference?
IMG_7816.jpg
alt="" />

all fins in tact
IMG_7817-1.jpg
alt="" />

Back