Fixing Acrylic tank scratches...help

fish

Supporting
Reaction score
I bought a used acrylic tank from another member here and of course it has a few scratches, nothing major though.

I have never attempted this before and am looking for where to start. Are there acrylic buffing kits for tanks and if so can anyone recommend one and where to get it?

Any tips on the actual buffing process to get a nice clean finished product?

Thanks in advanced

I have heard that Novus 2 and a orbital buffing wheel that you can buy for a drill would be the best way, if the tank is empty. There are other kits sold for scratch removal when the tank is running.

James S.;264215 wrote: I have heard that Novus 2 and a orbital buffing wheel that you can buy for a drill would be the best way, if the tank is empty. There are other kits sold for scratch removal when the tank is running.

If I could use a drill that would make it a lot easier im sure. Would that #2 Novus polish pretty much get all the scratches out or is there multiple steps with other compounds?

The tank is empty, its actually the 60G I picked up from you a few weeks back.

It depends on how deep the scratches are. I bought a scratch kit when I bought my acrylic tank. It has Micro-Mesh abrasives (in a variety of grits), Novus-3 Heavy Scratch remover and Novus-2 fine scratch remover. I haven't had the need to use it yet (knock on wood!) so I can't advise on what's needed for what level of scratch...

Fish;264219 wrote: If I could use a drill that would make it a lot easier im sure. Would that #2 Novus polish pretty much get all the scratches out or is there multiple steps with other compounds?

The tank is empty, its actually the 60G I picked up from you a few weeks back.

Novus 2 will get them out, but it will take some time.

Back