Flame Scallop?

tanner86

Market
Reaction score
Does anyone have Flame Scallops in their tanks? How hard are they to care for?

I saw one recently @ CapBay and was told they are extremely easy to keep. (Although the one they had was NFS because it was dying.)

Was told they'd have more in soon and they're about $12.

Rarely satisfied with info I receive from the LFS, I came home and did a little surfing and bookmarked http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/july2002/toonen.htm">this site</a>. I've skimmed this article and decided to put off getting one of these until I learn more.

Good luck and keep us posted on how yours does. If you learn anything more about these guys, please pass it along.

VERY... Next to impossible to keep in captivity. They are a straight filter feeder and most tanks (including my softie tank that I keep super dirty to grow corals fast) do not have the needed organics to make this little bivalve survive. The normally starve to death for most people somewhere in the area of 3-6 months.

I spot feed several of my corals about 2x a week. Do scallops require spot feeding everyday?

I have had mine for about 3 months. It is doing well but I almost never see it. It goes to the back of the tank and I have to hunt for him. The few times I do see it, he is swimming every where. I feed Reef Chili so I guess he is happy

I was thinking about putting the flame scallop in my 29 nano so I would be more likely to see it. How often do you feed the reef chili and where do you get it?

Back