Fleas and the reef

jbdreefs

Market
Reaction score
So, this fall, our dogs have had a real flea problem. We've had dogs for several years and we have never had a problem like this. We have tried various flea shampoos, over the counter topical treatments, etc. I've gone to the length of treating my carpet by running dog shampoo through the steam cleaner. Two weeks ago, we took the dogs to the vet. We were given more topical treatments and some pills to help with itching. We have a follow up visit today and this morning I checked the dogs for fleas and found more infestation.

About the only thing we haven't done are the flea bombs. I am scared to do this because of our aquarium. Has anyone used a bug bomb in the house before and managed to not kill the fish/coral?

Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Have you tried Borax in the carpet? It's non-toxic.

I've dealt with flea issues over the years, it works, and I've never had to risk bombing with chemicals. If they're bad for the fishes, they are bad for you too.

If that doesn't work, contact a pest control company and have it professionally treated and be sure to let them know you have an aquarium. Pros are able to deal with it and not harm your tank.

Jenn

John we had the same problem last spring, with 2 large dogs and 6 cats. The only thing that worked for us was the new collar, Seresto for dogs and cats, along with vaccuming and running a flea come thru their fur. It takes a while to kill them but the population will die down fast. The collars last 8 month or close to it , I buy my from foster & smith when they have a sale $45 or $50ea. I have so many tanks and the koi pond, I can't afford to use any chemicals. Holley:)

Thanks for the ideas Jenn. Never heard of using borax before. We are planning to contact a pest control company this coming week for treatment ideas and quotes.

Raz0945;1059469 wrote: John we had the same problem last spring, with 2 large dogs and 6 cats. The only thing that worked for us was the new collar, Seresto for dogs and cats, along with vaccuming and running a flea come thru their fur. It takes a while to kill them but the population will die down fast. The collars last 8 month or close to it , I buy my from foster & smith when they have a sale $45 or $50ea. I have so many tanks and the koi pond, I can't afford to use any chemicals. Holley:)

Thanks! I will look at this too.

Make sure whatever topicals/collars you're using include a "Plus" component to deal with the eggs/immature/hatching stage of the fleas' lifecycle. Had an infestation take hold several summers ago and that was the only thing that finished the job.

You may also want to switch to a different formulation (but comparably featured) product than you have been using. Fleas can develop immunity over time - it was what contributed to the situation I had as well.

But I agree with the above posts - the whole-house do it yourself "bomb" products are not a good idea in a dwelling period, let alone with a reef tank present.

John, when I worked at Publix, I couldn't keep the 20 Mule team Borax on the shelf. I finally asked a customer why it was so popular and she said that she uses it on her rugs because it kills fleas, ticks and their eggs. Try it.

What topical treatments are you using? Dogs get fleas... but every product that uses fipronil as it's main active ingredient has always worked for me without fail. The flea bites the dog... and it dies. :)

FutureInterest;1059514 wrote: What topical treatments are you using? Dogs get fleas... but every product that uses fipronil as it's main active ingredient has always worked for me without fail. The flea bites the dog... and it dies. :)

Eh, haven't really paid attention, especially since the last round came from the vet. If we go for more topical, I will look for that.

JennM;1059446 wrote: Have you tried Borax in the carpet? It's non-toxic.

I've dealt with flea issues over the years, it works, and I've never had to risk bombing with chemicals. If they're bad for the fishes, they are bad for you too.

If that doesn't work, contact a pest control company and have it professionally treated and be sure to let them know you have an aquarium. Pros are able to deal with it and not harm your tank.

Jenn
^^^ on Jenn's comment. I was at the vet just the other day with my pets and a couple brought in their flea infested dog. A middle aged lady overheard them talking to someone else and she stated that she pet rescues many dogs and cats over the years. The lady said to use Borax, if you want the fleas to go bye-bye from inside your house.

I know if I ever have that problem, I'm gettin' me some Borax.

Wannabee

The problem with the topical treatments is that they are all an oil base, which will wash out of the fur if there is a lot of rain or water within a couple of days of application. The best thing you can do is either: Seresto collar, a chewable preventative such as Nexgard or Bravecto, or an all in one like Trifexis. As far as the carpet, what you can do is if you have a canister vacuum, toss a cheap flea collar in the canister, vacuum the carpet areas, and dump it immediately and clean out the canister and filter. If you want, I can get you a nexgard sample for the dogs when I am at work on Monday and either meet you somewhere or give it to you at the club meet on Saturday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTW - don't buy the stuff they sell at the vet for carpets and stuff. I got sucked in back in the day and I think I paid $48 for a big jar of......................orthoboric acid. It was labeled "Flea Stoppers" . I still have the flippin' jar of it (I've had it for probably a dozen years or more).

Boy was I miffed when I realized it was something I could have bought at the grocery store for a few dollars, if that.

This: http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/flea_stoppers.htm">http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/flea_stoppers.htm</a> Don't waste the money.

Jenn

JennM;1059547 wrote: BTW - don't buy the stuff they sell at the vet for carpets and stuff. I got sucked in back in the day and I think I paid $48 for a big jar of......................orthoboric acid. It was labeled "Flea Stoppers" . I still have the flippin' jar of it (I've had it for probably a dozen years or more).

Boy was I miffed when I realized it was something I could have bought at the grocery store for a few dollars, if that.

This: http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/flea_stoppers.htm">http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/flea_stoppers.htm</a> Don't waste the money.

Jenn[/QUOTE]

I work at a vet, and that stuff is a waste of money. We don't sell that stuff where I work now, but my last clinic did. Doesn't work worth a hoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh it worked, but I could have bought 20 Mule Team Borax at the grocery store for a tiny fraction of the price.

Jenn

What I did to combat my flea prombem might be considered extreme. I'd been doing topical and collar treatments but still had problems with the fleas in the carpets. I decided to rip up all my carpeting and put in vinyl flooring throughout. Down to collars now.

Firethorn77;1059573 wrote: What I did to combat my flea prombem might be considered extreme. I'd been doing topical and collar treatments but still had problems with the fleas in the carpets. I decided to rip up all my carpeting and put in vinyl flooring throughout. Down to collars now.

LoL. Hardwoods are our long term plan. Slowly making progress.

I swear by vinyl now. I did bamboo flooring in my last house and it looked great but way to easy to get dinged up and scratched. Dogs, cats, and my kids were good at that.

Back