flesh eater :(

skriz

Reaction score
Something is eating the flesh of my pocillipora damicornis. i lose a branch a night...I have looked to see if there is anything there, but have yet to find a critter. Any ideas? The other coral all look great.

I took some crappy pics...
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
109033=6713-DSC04516.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
109033=6713-DSC04516.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC04516.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
109033=6714-DSC04518.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
109033=6714-DSC04518.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC04518.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a>
109033=6715-DSC04519.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
>
109033=6715-DSC04519.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg
class="gc-images" title="DSC04519.JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

No angels.

Yellow Tangs (4)
Desjardini Tang
Blue bird wrasse
pajama cardinals (8)
Tomato clown
Green Chrmois (2)

These have all been in there with the coral for a long time now.

In case it is something growing on the branches, frag the oposite end now. QT if you can.

I'm with Charlie- I think it may be a crab. Try looking at it at night with a red light.

I would also suggest dipping in Pro Coral Cure and the QTing just in case.

The only thing next to it is a little bit of hair algae. No corals at all. It is pretty well isolated.

I just added some frags...unless something hitchiked with them?

I'll have to pick up some pro coral cure tomorrow and give it a shot. I'll check tonight and see if there is anything on it.

I cut the dead peice off...

yeah ever since I started dipping everything i put in my tank in pro coral cure I have had to flatworms or anything go wrong with my corals....it may be coincidence but Im at the point where i swear by that stuff now.

My pocillipora did something quite similar. I'm sure it wasn't from any hitchhikers because I really had not added anything to my tank.

I broke off the piece that died and it's all well now.

I'm sure there was a reason for this, I just could never figure it out with my limited knowledge.

LorenK;109068 wrote: My pocillipora did something quite similar. I'm sure it wasn't from any hitchhikers because I really had not added anything to my tank.

I broke off the piece that died and it's all well now.

I'm sure there was a reason for this, I just could never figure it out with my limited knowledge.

that's what I've done, so I hope it takes care of it. I may also do a idodide dip and see if that helps.

I would certainly frag a piece off and move it to a different tank for safety. Past that move it into a safety/specimen container attached to the side of the aquarium and see if it stops. If you get a night or two without any loss it is probably a crab or some other in tank hitchhiker.

Back