Flex pvc 2 okay?

outdrsyguy1

Market
Reaction score
Looking to source 2" pvc piping that's flexable so I can reduce vibration transmission in my plumbing. My pumps put some vibration from running and water flow and it's creating a harmonic in my sump like it's a speaker. The pump (reeflo hammerhead) is fairly quiet but the shape of my rubbermaid stock tank seems to cause the vibration to be amplified.
Thinking of putting in a section of flex hose to try and reduce the transmission.

other suggestions also welcome. I have some isolation pads under the pump but not the sump at this time.
this stuff okay?
https://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?p=Flex_PVC_By_The_Foot_Black&p_id=BTFBLK020&xm=on&ppinc=detail">https://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?p=Flex_PVC_By_The_Foot_Black&p_id=BTFBLK020&xm=on&ppinc=detail</a>

thanks!

That should work fine.

How much are you looking for? I have a roll laying around that I could cut a section off of

I've been using the white flex PVC for years on my plumbing. Works great.

You can get some sizes of white at your local Home Depot.

Best piece of advice I could give you is to hold the fittings together longer when gluing. The flex pipe likes to push out of the fittings as the glue cures, more than solid pipe.

Some of the vibration is probably coming from the fittings in your plumbing with all the water you're pushing. If your going to add the flex try to use as much as you can to remove as many 90's and 45's as possible. Where the flex ends secure the next fitting tightly to something solid. This will keep the vibration in the flex sections and at the pump, which you said is sitting on a pad already.

You can use a heat gun to bend the pipe the way you want it. This also works good for straightening it. When bending, especially going with the natural bend it has from the coil, you need to take care not to kink it. Once you have a kink it's quite hard to get it out. If you feel or see it staring to kink stop and bend it back slightly and let it cool then start again. Once you have it the way you want it dip the bend in cold water to set it.

And like Schwaggs said, hold it longer when gluing. Also use a little extra glue because the flex tube is a little narrower than standard pipe. Priming flex is important too.

HTH

Thanks a bunch for the tips!
There is only about 2 feet between the pump and the sump. I won't be able to eliminate any elbows unfortunately and will end up with about 6 inches of flex is all I can squeeze in between the shut off valve in the first elbow. I'm wondering if there's some sort of other flex connection that might be safe to use and better at vibration isolation.
I'll probably just go with the white instead of the black as it's seems to be more standard in use.

Back