Flexible Pex Spa Hose

tony_caliente

Market
Reaction score
Is the safe to use in reef aquaria (to deliver water from the sump pump to the tank)? If yes, does when attach with glue/cement or fittings and clamps? Thank you!

Spa Flex is safe, you'll need to find the blue cement (specifically says for flexible PVC - I heard of many successful rain-r-shine users though)

Thank you. I have used the blue pvc cement. It appears to be suited for barbed fittings and clamps. I am going to call the company.

Tony, you can use it with barbed fittings but it really is meant to be glued. I used it extensively when I had the 120G running on the first floor with the sump in the basement. I called the company that makes the glue and they said to use the blue Rain-R-Shine as Robb said. There actually is another product that was made just for spa-flex but it is not readilly available unless you try some spa type companies.

I have also used it with barbed fittings. I still have some left depending on what size and lenth you need.

Thank you Bud and LilRob. And I remember your set-ups - truly amazing. Well now that two furnished me with the same answer, I don't have call the company. I am just surprised that glue is recommended given the semi-rigid nature of the hosing. Are the barbs standard PVS/ABS/Polyp barbs that I would need? I have them too. Thanks for the offer. BTW, the two frags that I bought from you are doing great! I should have brought more.

I just used standard barbs with mine. Also the person I talked to about the glue said you don't need primer with the blue stuff, but I still put primer, then blue glue on the rigid pieces and just blue glue on the flex piece.

To clarify (if I'm not reading your question wrong), you glue it to standard PVC "slip" fittings. Barbs don't have to be glued. Also, it may not matter to you, but I've tried to disassemble pipes when this stuff is used with barbs and it is next to impossible. If you use barbs, allow enough length for the barb to be cut off later and still be reconnected to the fresh end.

If you heat the barbed end under very hot water or with a heat gun to soften the flex it is not easy but it can be removed from the barbed ends.

Also when glueing to the slip parts you only have a couple of seconds to get it connected before it sets up.

Back