Flipper blade rusting

myreefclub0070

Market
Reaction score
Don't know if I missed the fine print on wether or no to leave the flipper algae cleaner in the tank or not but within a week the blade was rusting.
I'm thinking it stainless steel and shouldn't rust or rust so quick.
Anyone got the flipper with this problem or do you just tank it out the tank after use?

I have had mine in water for about a year and have had no rust issues.

I have one that rusted and one that did not, I usually park mine at the top of the tank so the blade is out of water.

I must be a rust magnet, this is the second item that has shown rust in my tank.
Guess I got to buy a few replacement blades to keep in hand.

I always take mine out. Saw some rust when left overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MYREEFCLUB0070;1057340 wrote: I must be a rust magnet, this is the second item that has shown rust in my tank.
Guess I got to buy a few replacement blades to keep in hand.

I guess you won't need to run GFO then. Lol. :) You have had really bad luck with magnets, I'm still paranoid about mine.

Hmmm I've been looking for feedback on these. Wondering about stocking them.

aw man, just ordered one today. i hope i didn't make a mistake

I love them, they are the best glass cleaner/scraper I have ever owned. Only one of my blades showed signs of rust, I replaced it and never had a problem since. They also offer a plastic scraper for acrylic tans so thats an option.

dball711;1057382 wrote: I love them, they are the best glass cleaner/scraper I have ever owned. Only one of my blades showed signs of rust, I replaced it and never had a problem since. They also offer a plastic scraper for acrylic tans so thats an option.

Agree, best cleaner I've ever had. I keep a Tunzee scraper in at all times but break out the flipper when I need deep cleaning.
-Nick

Love the flipper, but I do not leave it in the tank. I am pretty religious when it comes to scrapers/algae magnets, I always pull it out and rinse it off when I am finished using it. Never have issues with build up or corrosion.

Wow, looks like I got and unexpected pm from a flipper rep. Based on this thread.
Copied and pasted :
Sorry to hear your having some issues with your Flipper. The Flipper blades are designed not to rust when changed every 4-6 months. Which model do you have? We have some older versions from our previous manufacturer that may rust under the right conditions. Basically 1 in 50+ can rust if left in the tank full time in saltwater. Our current production for the standard and nano versions are made with a higher quality stainless steel that does not rust. The updated max blade is currently in production. You can tell which version you have by whether the metal in the blade is attracted to the magnet. If there is no magnetic attraction, you have the new blade. Since your having issues, I'm assuming you have an old blade.
Happy Flipping
Bob

Yes I was offered blade replacements, which is great customer service seeing I haven't even contacted then yet, now I know I'm going to like this even more.

man, what great service.
guess what came in the mail today, yup blades from flipper customer care.
thanks bob @ flipper, way to go.

MYREEFCLUB0070;1058426 wrote: man, what great service.
guess what came in the mail today, yup blades from flipper customer care.
thanks bob @ flipper, way to go.

+1

Very impressive!

You sold me Bob, ordered it today!

We will have these in stock by next week. Thanks for the feedback everyone =)

Marlon, I meant to say this a few days ago, but I am so glad you posted about this! I have been using the Flipper for a while now and love it, but I think it almost killed some of my favorite corals for this same reason. Last weekend a lot of my corals looked ticked off seemingly out of the blue...acros sliming, lps really withdrawn, zoas closed, etc. The only thing I could think of as the cause was a couple days beforehand I used sodium hydroxide to melt some brown palys that were taking over a rock. So I did a large water change and tested all the parameters; everything checked out just fine. But the corals were still ticked off the next day! I was so afraid I was going to lose my favorite yellow wall hammer that I pulled it out and put it in the frag tank to see if I could get it to heal there. That night I was laying in bed scouring the threads for ideas of what could be wrong and I saw your post, and bam, a light bulb went off and I remembered that I had just started leaving the Flipper in the tank earlier that week. I ran downstairs and pulled it out and sure enough, the blade had a good bit of rust on it. Of course I pulled it out and we are now 3 days later and everything is looking great again! Whew!

So, just wanted to say thanks for posting! You never know when someone will get some value out of it. It actually has made me want to be more active on here, because I have mainly been a consumer of the knowledge of you all and not a producer of any myself, haha.

in my experience, looking in to my tank just about everyday and looking to see which corals of fish is visually talking too me letting me know when there is an issue, then the hunt begins.
usually it boils down to equipment or chemistry, luckily enough since the flipper was new and I was using it every day, I caught it before anybody said anything.
I'm happy you caught that issue, did you do the magnet thing?

MYREEFCLUB0070;1059099 wrote: in my experience, looking in to my tank just about everyday and looking to see which corals of fish is visually talking too me letting me know when there is an issue, then the hunt begins.
usually it boils down to equipment or chemistry, luckily enough since the flipper was new and I was using it every day, I caught it before anybody said anything.
I'm happy you caught that issue, did you do the magnet thing?
Yes, i did and it was very much attracted to the magnet, which i guess confirms i have the older blade.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Back