Float switch in cup

fishlips

Market
Reaction score
Does anyone use something to shut off skimmer if cup overflows.
I had it overflow a few times since I been in the hobby. Was thinking about a float switch in cup, hooked up to my controller. Or is there something better.

I have a drain line in my skimmer cup to a 1 gallon container with a float switch in the lid connected to my Apex. When the float switch is open, it triggers an alarm and turns off one of the needle wheel skimmer pumps.

I use this one
I think MRC might have something similar
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1108273=69794-ps-aeawc.jpg
>
1108273=69794-ps-aeawc.jpg
class="gc-images" title="ps-aeawc.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Thanks for al the info.I guess the simplest is just hang a float switch in cup. Hooked up to controller.

A float switch in the cup works however, I'll provide one caution. Most standard float switches are to short and the volume won't clear the inside of the neck to provide enough push on the switch to trip it. I have this problem on my Reef Octopus skimmer. You have to use a switch with a longer stem or it may not work. You could also use a 90 degree stem switch and put it into the side of the cup but be very careful when drilling that you don't split the cup.

Thanks Jeff, I to have octopus. Will have to research .I guess its not as simple as i thought.

My guess is you would need to constantly clean that float switch to keep it from gumming up. I was originally planning on plumbing the cup drain to a drain in the floor but I'm concerned during an overflow event it might overflow much more water than I would want to flow out of the tank. Now I'm contemplating a sealed overflow tank that I can manually drain or have it pump out every few days.

k3nnyP;1108480 wrote: My guess is you would need to constantly clean that float switch to keep it from gumming up. I was originally planning on plumbing the cup drain to a drain in the floor but I'm concerned during an overflow event it might overflow much more water than I would want to flow out of the tank. Now I'm contemplating a sealed overflow tank that I can manually drain or have it pump out every few days.

The float I linked is wired to my Apex. I put a plug connector in the wire so when I do maintenance I can disconnect it. I also have a neck cleaner installed so I like to clean the wiper every couple weeks. Pretty easy to rinse the float off while I'm doing that. This has already saved me a couple times while tuning the new 5000 I have.

I think connecting the skimmate container to the drain is the best plan. That way if/when it fills up a float can turn the skimmer off.

anit77;1108527 wrote: The float I linked is wired to my Apex. I put a plug connector in the wire so when I do maintenance I can disconnect it. I also have a neck cleaner installed so I like to clean the wiper every couple weeks. Pretty easy to rinse the float off while I'm doing that. This has already saved me a couple times while tuning the new 5000 I have.

I think connecting the skimmate container to the drain is the best plan. That way if/when it fills up a float can turn the skimmer off.

I think I like your skimmate container idea. So take plug off bottom of skimmer, hoof up hose , into container. Thats where to place switch. Will this effect performance of skimmer?

k3nnyP;1108480 wrote: My guess is you would need to constantly clean that float switch to keep it from gumming up. I was originally planning on plumbing the cup drain to a drain in the floor but I'm concerned during an overflow event it might overflow much more water than I would want to flow out of the tank. Now I'm contemplating a sealed overflow tank that I can manually drain or have it pump out every few days.

I wouldn't want the skimmate draining into a floor drain for the overflow reason you mention as well as the smell. I like to rinse the skimmate down the sink drain to reduce the smell as much as possible.

I rarely have to clean the switch in my 1 gallon container, it only touches skimmate once in a while (I usually empty it before it is full) and I always rinse the container with fresh water when emptying.

I have thought about the smell and my plan is to run the tube through the top of the floor drain and snake it through the p-trap beneath the floor to where gravity will flow it away from the p-trap. I'm also planning on small daily water changes that will keep the p-trap full and the drain pipe flushed.

Only theory at this point. I still have to finish connecting the drain to the main sewer line in my basement.

k3nnyP;1108544 wrote: I have thought about the smell and my plan is to run the tube through the top of the floor drain and snake it through the p-trap beneath the floor to where gravity will flow it away from the p-trap. I'm also planning on small daily water changes that will keep the p-trap full and the drain pipe flushed.

Only theory at this point. I still have to finish connecting the drain to the main sewer line in my basement.

Carefully think through the run-away skimmer scenario. With a skimmer connected to a floor drain and an ATO, you could drop the salinity of your system quickly, without even knowing it. Fail safes are critical.

With a 1 gallon skimmate container, you do have to empty it from time to time but when (not if) the skimmer goes into overdrive, it only skims off 1 gallon of tank water, max. No risk of running the salinity too low.

If a skimmer over flows it, depending on the skimmer, usually can pump out more water than it can drain through the cup fitting and I also like to build in double or triple redundancy with as much as I can.

Here's what I've done.
1. Float in the cup; If the skimmer overflows this switch will shut it down and give it time to drain to the 1 gallon skimmate container. There's a 5min delay to drain before if fires back up. If it keeps overflowing it will keep in this loop until the skimmate container is full.
2. Float in the skimmate container; Once full it will shut down the skimmer till it's been emptied.
3. Email & text alerts; If either of this floats trip I get alerted.
4. Dunno yet; :)

reeferman;1108579 wrote: heres what i use along with the auto neck cleaner
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-octopus-6-waste-collector-with-auto-shut-off.html">http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-octopus-6-waste-collector-with-auto-shut-off.html</a>[/QUOTE]

I have that one as well (I switched the container out for larger one). It hasn't failed yet.

reeferman;1108579 wrote: heres what i use along with the auto neck cleaner
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-octopus-6-waste-collector-with-auto-shut-off.html">http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef-octopus-6-waste-collector-with-auto-shut-off.html</a>[/QUOTE]

This is what I was looking for. I w ill be getting one.

What size do I get. The 4" or 6". My skimmer is the sro 3000. I just want to make sure the wc unit is shoter so when it drains from my cup , its going down hill to it.

Back