floating canopy

atlorange

Supporting
Reaction score
Anyone built one? Or had one built? If so please post pictures. This will be to house 2 Radions and 4 t5s. I want something simple/sleak. I don't know what material to use since I want it light enough to hang from ceiling, but strong enough to be sturdy. I did someone online that used black acrylic, but sadly my acrylic skills leave much to be desired. I would be afraid my seams would not hold. If wood, what would I use? Plywood?

How big is your tank and post a pic of the area. I think if you built the frame with good material then the other stuff can be lighter stuff. With a pic I'll can see try to help with ideas because I need something also

I'm an aspiring wood worker and built my tank stand. I'm going to probably build myself a smaller one. If I can find time to get it done, I'll let y'all know how it turns out. Honestly if weight is the issue, I would just beef up the mounting, of course keeping aesthetics's in mind.

I know several members have built them. Try pming kirkwood, he built one of the nicest I've ever seen. It hangs from a vaulted ceiling.

I've done two, and working on a third. Mine are very basic, kind of raw, industrial, but they fit in to the motif of my office. The one on my 35gal is done with a typical hanging kit, the other one, on my 60gal is done with galvanized pipe. The galvanized pipe can be a bit spendy for something like this ($85 for the pipe and fittings)</em>, but it was the look I was going for. It consist of two 90° elbows at the floor, with a 36" piece between them, two 50" upright pipes that go into two more 90° elbows. From there, there is two 12" pipes, then two more 90° elbows, and then two 4" nipples, which terminate into two galvanized flanges that screw into the canopy. The neat thing about it, I did not completely tighten the two 4" nipples into the flanges, so I can push the left side of the canopy, and it rotates back, and to the right out of the way, so I have lots of room for maintenance, if need be. It's fastened to the back of the stand with saddle clamps. The other one can be raised, and lowered like most other hanging kits, by pulling the cable.

I understand the galvanized look may not be what you're going for, but the concept could certainly be repeated, and the pipe painted black, or some other color. Anyway, just thought I'd share to give you some other ideas to consider.

35gal
20161227_002529_1.jpg
alt="" />

20170226_005318.jpg
alt="" />

60gal
20170226_005902.jpg
alt="" />

20170226_005437.jpg
alt="" />

Google "Floating Shelf". If your tank is centered across two wall studs, you could use this principle to design and install a canopy that would appear to be truly floating. It's a very simple concept.

Try this:
a>

Thanks everyone. I ordered the t5s so I will start building the canopy shortly. I will show everyone what I come up with once I am done.

We can't hang our lights from the ceiling, this is what Hal came up with
<fieldset class="gc-fieldset">
<legend> Attached files </legend>
1113537=70296-20170425_154753.jpg
>
1113537=70296-20170425_154753.jpg
class="gc-images" title="20170425_154753.jpg[/IMG] style="max-width:300px" /></a> </fieldset>

Merfish101;1113499 wrote: nice, still trying to decide what to do for mine so this certainly helps. Thanks

Thanks. I would recommend 1x8s, instead of the 1X6s I used. I already want to redo it with 1x8s.

Back