Flood....Eeegaads!

flyingarmy

Market
Reaction score
Came home tonight after picking up a ton of LS from Dr.Nec(thanks) and found that my new mangrove fuge had overflowed all over the floor in the fishroom. I quickly shut the return off and checked salinity. It was 1.023...so I slowly raised it back to 1.026 over the last few hours. I cleaned up the flood....the new rug in the fishroom soaked most of it up. As for the cause, I can only guess that 2 things happened:

1. Some mangrove leaves fell and blocked the overflow guard.

2. The overflow couldn't keep up with the return. (least likely)

I reduced the return a bit and have checked it frequently to ensure that this is not the problem. I need to make a guard that will keep leave from blocking the overflow guard out of egg crate. I'll check it one more time before I hit the sack and then have nightmares all night of huge floods.....ugh!

Dang! Another good reason why my tanks are now in the basement!

DrNecropolis;235797 wrote: Jeez..... sucks..was that enough sand

Plenty...thanks!

This morning I was flood free! Looks like it could have been #2, overflow not keeping up. I am going to re-work the overflows making them more like a derso to allow more flow.

I picked up 2 more 20GAL Oceanic tanks that I'd like to plumb in the system also. Maybe a cryptic fuge and a breeder tank. I'd have to build another stand for the other 2 tanks.

Reworking the overflows to durso types would probably be a good thing to do. I used to have a problem of the overflows randomly not keeping up and always assumed it was some kind of air pockets in the lines intermittently slowing the flow. Now I try to make sure everything has a way to vent air.

Plumb the new ones with pvc and cement. I hate all the other options since they all seem to leak for me eventually.

Budsreef;235829 wrote: Reworking the overflows to durso types would probably be a good thing to do. I used to have a problem of the overflows randomly not keeping up and always assumed it was some kind of air pockets in the lines intermittently slowing the flow. Now I try to make sure everything has a way to vent air.

Plumb the new ones with pvc and cement. I hate all the other options since they all seem to leak for me eventually.

I am going to use the same design of Bob's tank you had at the frag meet. I think you might be right about pockets of air. I was watching the ovewrflow tubing last night and I could see where air pockets were slowing down the flow a bit. I also need to raise the overflow line a bit to give it more of a downhill slant.

Joe the plumber here... no offense taken! I've managed to flood my basement about five times so far... the last time was the worst. It usually has something to do with either leaving the RO on too long, or an overflow that doesn't keep up for some reason. Luckily, most have been minor and caught before too much water spills.

Back