Flood!!

fishtank

Market
Reaction score
nah not that bad but not great either, I had to many very large Mexican turbo snails that were moving to much stuff around so in a pinch I moved 3 of them to my empty (no fish) qt. Just for a few days until I go LFS touring tomorrow. Well... one of said snails decided to sit on my JBJ ATO sensor and hence the flood lol. I heard running water probably 5 minutes or so after the fact so there was a lot of water on the floor but hadn't sat there long.

You learn something all the time, never again putting snails with ATO sensors!

This has definitely set me backwards in my hope for an upgrade.

Ah, the ol' "snail on the ATO sensor flood" got you, eh?

Just kidding. I've never heard of that happening, that sucks but thanks for posting so I can not let that happen to me

If it is not messing up the ATO sensor, it is getting stuck inside and clogging your overflow drain.:doh:

yeah didnt give it any thought. I got to the tank and was looking trying to work out what happened and sure enough he was right up in it! Now the wife is putting the brakes on any thoughts of upgrades for now grr! not to mention I will now need to reboot my QT tank.

Your small flood is a great reason to convince the SO to allow the upgrade, because it would not have happened if you had a sump, because the ATO sensor would have been in the return section of the sump in the first place, and no in the tank.

So in a way, this is her fault, not yours, for not allowing you to upgrade sooner!!!

Dontcha just love twisted Reefer Logic?:D

Acroholic;973673 wrote: If it is not messing up the ATO sensor, it is getting stuck inside and clogging your overflow drain.:doh:

That gives me another idea for my Apex breakout box. High float switch in overflow to shut off return.

tonymission;973693 wrote: That gives me another idea for my Apex breakout box. High float switch in overflow to shut off return.

Great Idea! Im going to borrow that one!

You can minimize the chances of any snails getting into the overflow by making a cover for it. I have covers on both my reef tank overflows. One is acrylic, and one is made of ABS.

Here is an old thread on the topic with pics if anyone is interested.

showthread.php

Acroholic;973692 wrote: Your small flood is a great reason to convince the SO to allow the upgrade, because it would not have happened if you had a sump, because the ATO sensor would have been in the return section of the sump in the first place, and no in the tank.

So in a way, this is her fault, not yours, for not allowing you to upgrade sooner!!!

Dontcha just love twisted Reefer Logic?:D

While I do like you line of thinking I think she would question me pretty good if I needed a sump under my qt lol. But hey, I did some rescaping today and added a bunch of corals and im liking the layout. She found out today that I "accidentally" built my stand for the 60 cube big enough to fit a 93 cube:thumbs:

fishtank;973935 wrote: But hey, I did some rescaping today and added a bunch of corals and im liking the layout. She found out today that I "accidentally" built my stand for the 60 cube big enough to fit a 93 cube:thumbs:
That's the way to do it!

You also have to establish a Secret Reef Slush Fund she does not know about to pay for all those $10 (wink, wink) corals you find on sale at the local fish stores.

Acroholic;973940 wrote: That's the way to do it!

You also have to establish a Secret Reef Slush Fund she does not know about to pay for all those $10 (wink, wink) corals you find on sale at the local fish stores.

Truly amazing how thrifty we all are. :)

Back